• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Leica LRF 1200

Hunter66654

Leica LRF 1200 . New in the box with all papers. Used on one hunting trip. $380. There is another unit I want ot buy.

I bought a Leica 1200 to replace my Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000. When the Leica arrived, I decided to give them a through comparison test so that I would know exactly what I was getting for the extra money.

Initial comparison:
The Leica was smaller and lighter, that's a nice improvement.
The Leica has MUCH better optics and is nicer to view through, although I always carry quality binos and only use the rangefinder for ranging.
The red LED on the Leica was sharp, but small and not always easy to see in bright light.

Field comparison:
On most targets both rangefinders ranged well and gave readings within 1-2 yards of each other. On large, reflective targets @ 1,000 yards and over the Leica had a very hard time giving readings and sometimes just couldn't do it at all. The Bushnell 1000, however, gave a consistent reading every time, even beyond 1000 yds. I was shocked.
I took both of the rangefinders to the waters edge and tried to range wodded piles that were sticking out above the water. At 250-400 yards the Leica could not range a single pile. The Bushnell ranged every pile without a hitch. Shocked again.

For all of the extra $$$$$ all I found was LESS performance from the Leica. I sold it and couldn't be happier. I might add though, that the guy who bought it just loves it.

Now I know that a lot of guys have the Leicas and love them too but this was the results of MY direct comparison. Many shooters don't have the opportunity or inclination to do such a comparison.

Do your own test. Actual milage may vary.
grin.gif

VH

Not to bash the YP1000, but I had the oprotunity to compare my YP1000 to my 1200 and hands down the Leica was a VAST improvment vs the my yp1000. Thats not to say my YP didnt work well, just the 1200 was better.

My take on the matter is some of the 1200's work better than others
rolleyes.gif

I have scince sold the YP1000

Yup I'll agree my Leica Ranged Antelope to 1100 yards this fall... I sold the Bushnell ASAP!!

someone should snatch that up qiuck!

Like I said "actual milage may vary".
I bought one of the first Leica 1200's that became available when they were first released. Maybe they have improved but the one I had did not perform well.
I'd still like to get a rangefinder that is an improvement over my Bushnell. It is sometimes a bit difficult to range small varmint on flat ground.
The $3,000 rangefinders are out of range, if you know what I mean.
smile.gif

VH

Mr VarmintHunter, in all due respect and maybe I am missing something... perhaps you and Hunter know each other but I believe coming into someone's classified ad and bashing their for sale item is a touch rude. We appreciate your review but IMO there is another place to give that review. Have a good one

Robinstan, I sold the unit. There wasn't anything that I didn't like about it. I have tried Bushnell side by side with the Leica 1200 and Leica was the best in clarity and consistant ranging by far. I sold it because I am going to buy a combination binocular/rangefinder unit so I don't have to carry 2 units and switch between them. Other people may have had other experiences with the Leica but I was completely satisfied with mine for that type of unit.

hunter, what other range finder are you interested in and why. were you dissatisfied with the performance of your 1200? thanks robinstan

Kav,

First of all: NO, I do not know Hunter66654.

Secondly: My post was more responsive to Robinstans inquiry as to the possible dissatisfaction with the Leica 1200.

Lastly: I can't imagine what this has to do with YOU. I'm sure that Hunter can speak for himself.

Hunter66654,

If by any chance you feel that my comments were inappropiately posted, I apoligize. I should have taken better notice that your post was in the Buy,Sell,Trade section.

VH

VH "cant imagine" what kav has to do with it?

What does it have to do with you (VH) to express to robinstan your displeasure with the LRF?

I thought the question was directed to "hunter" I thought you were sure "hunter" can speak for himself.
wink.gif

I view and post here for the positive value that can be gained by the board's participants.

Getting involved in a ****ing match does no one any good. It sounds like you are looking to do just that.

Have a good day - VH

[ 01-04-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]