Lehigh .338 245 Grs. Match bullets

Potenza

I would like to know if anybody have some experience with lehigh match bullets in hunting condition like .338 245 Grains at 3400fps on moose, if it can make devastating shot? Thank you for your help.

I'm just trying to make sure everybody is on the same page; you're asking what we think about shooting a very large animal with a lathe turned-solid brass-non expanding .338 projectile @ high velocity?

Non expanding pointed bullets at high velocity are worthless on big game. The bigger the game the more worthless they are. The higher the velocity the more worthless they are.

The pointed bullet separates the tissue and creates a wound cavity the same size of the diameter of the bullet. Due to this,very little energy and hydrostatic shock is dispersed in the animal. The remaining energy leaves with the bullet when it exits the animal.
Expanding bullets expand into a blunt bulldozer that rips through the tissue creating a wide bleeding channel and massive amounts of hydrostatic shock. This is the energy that is expelled in the animal. MAKE NO MISTAKE this is the killing factor of the combination of the bullet and how it delivers the energy, even on a poor placed shot.

The higher the velocity the higher the friction that is INDUCED in to bullet. From the barrel to the air the bullet is heated to temperatures that most do not understand. This heated bullet as it is passing through the flesh, organs, capillaries and arteries is searing (burning) the channels bleeding surface so it bleeds very little. Definitely not what you want.

This is the reason that some states make them illegal to hunt with.

To bluntly answer the question....One would be a unethical dumba$$ to even use this bullet to hunt with.

Thank you for your answers, I know for sure that this bullet type is not the best for these application but I wasn't sure that the expension would be nothing at these velocity, in other words I don't know the damage that these bullet can occur but I'm sure of one thing at 3600FPS in the vital zone the moose will not survive a long time. I've shooted a lot of big animals and when you make a hole at the right place...
My firts choice is Accubond for a lot of calibers but a 245gr. in 338 at 3600fps is a really powerful caliber moose or not and I think too that the most the bullet temperature will be high at the higher velocity the the bullet will be expanded.
Probably i will go with a Barnes solid copper.

Idaho Elkhunter is right. We shoot 1000 yards and have pits. You can see the bullets strike the back bank and lay there and smoke. That is real hot and would cauterize a wound just like a doctor does. Another thing is a big animal can go a long away after being hit on the lungs and leave no blood. In a lot of states it is illegal to use non expanding bullets to hunt with. I like a real heavy expanding bullet that passes through. I usually use the heaviest bullet for caliber. I believe bullets that pass through and expand leave a better blood trail. You can use a Barnes expanding solid bullet but I like the heavier bullet for long range shooting because the Higher BC and sectional density has better longrange performance. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.