Lee collet questions

I size the neck first. Not sure its critical. It knockes primer out. Steel wool it good for the Bush die, lube and size.

I am collet sizing the prc in my creed moor die by backing it out and using a washer around case on top shell holder to engage the collet squezer thing....

I intend to try collet neck sizing soon. I have used a bushing die previously.

To me it makes sense to bump the shoulder first, the mandrel makes the neck concentric, if you do that before the bump you are relying on the body die to move the shoulder without moving the neck.

I'm planning on decap, tumble, anneal, bump, neck size and trim for my brass prep.

A friend of mine has a Guiraud annealer so I will anneal more than most because I can.

I intend to try collet neck sizing soon. I have used a bushing die previously.

To me it makes sense to bump the shoulder first, the mandrel makes the neck concentric, if you do that before the bump you are relying on the body die to move the shoulder without moving the neck.

I'm planning on decap, tumble, anneal, bump, neck size and trim for my brass prep.
I deprime on a dedicated press and then lube and FL size without spindle and sizing button, clean off, steel wool, neck brush, and do neck collet last with no lube. Inner and outer chamfer, clean primer pocket and prime.

Body size first. Case may get longer. When done both, check trim length.

A custom mandrel can provide more then .001" neck tension, if needed.

I have been using the Lee Collet dies and many other Lee products for decades, If you want to body
size with a Lee FL die you need to modify it as I said earlier as so it doesn't touch the neck in any way, You can drill, polish or simply cut the neck section off( I have done all three) and remove the expander or buy a specific body die. I use the collet die first and then I body size setting the shoulder back .002 or whatever you deem necessary, This is how i do it and I'm not claiming it to be correct but it works for me but using this process the only brass growth you will see will be from firing and it will be minimal

I have been using the Lee Collet dies and many other Lee products for decades, If you want to body
size with a Lee FL die you need to modify it as I said earlier as so it doesn't touch the neck in any way, You can drill, polish or simply cut the neck section off( I have done all three) and remove the expander or buy a specific body die. I use the collet die first and then I body size setting the shoulder back .002 or whatever you deem necessary, This is how i do it and I'm not claiming it to be correct but it works for me but using this process the only brass growth you will see will be from firing and it will be minimal

I haven't got to look at my dies yet maybe tonight but with a bushing sizing die I shouldn't have to modify it at all if I just take the bushing out I believe.

I haven't got to look at my dies yet maybe tonight but with a bushing sizing die I shouldn't have to modify it at all if I just take the bushing out I believe.
Yes Sir you are correct with the Bushing Die, remove the Bushing and expander and you are good to go, I just wanted to clarify that if you don't have a bushing die you'll need to modify your existing FL Die, Savage 12BVSS has done his home work on the collet die and has some very helpful info I'm sure he'd be glad to share with you, the set up is crucial in making it work correctly

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.