Lead fragments in meat?

I don't know if it really matters to occasionally ingest some lead. Does it pass or sit in your gut? I could imagine digestive acids dissolving some of lead in the gut. I'm sure that there is some good science out there for answers if that is your thing. I personally shoot copper bullets for rifle and steel or bismuth pellets for birds.

David……with your address, you have no choice! 😉 memtb

The most common issues associated with lead is decreased intelligence, behavioral issues and some other learning disorders in children.
Is that how we got all those "woke- identify as" kids? Lead in the meat?

You did say "decreased intelligence" , "behavioral issues", and "other learning disorders in children" 😉

Well the only thing I can say is Ihave probably eaten enough lead in lead paint, enough mercury to kill 2 horses and I still haven't lost my mind 😛 well the last part might not be totally true 😁

David……with your address, you have no choice! 😉 memtb
True. I probably would still be using lead core if not for the regulations. However I am pleased with the copper hammer hunters for accuracy and hunting performance. The lead free is added bonus. We dropped two Pronghorn last year with 156 gr Hammer Hunter bullets and I'm going after elk this year with 199 gr HH. Also Alaska next year, planning to use 199 gr HH too.

In CA we banned lead and replaced it with another toxic metal, copper. Makes complete CA sense. I do love the HH projectiles. I've rarely seen a bullet not pass through a big game animal unless at very, very long range.

In CA we banned lead and replaced it with another toxic metal, copper. Makes complete CA sense. I do love the HH projectiles. I've rarely seen a bullet not pass through a big game animal unless at very, very long range.
Copper is something you body requires to function correctly. Everything is toxic if you have too much. There is both copper deficiency and toxicity. Just like water. But to call copper toxic like lead, is just factually incorrect. There is no functional use for lead in the body and it is toxic at very low levels.

I don't know if it really matters to occasionally ingest some lead. Does it pass or sit in your gut? I could imagine digestive acids dissolving some of lead in the gut. I'm sure that there is some good science out there for answers if that is your thing. I personally shoot copper bullets for rifle and steel or bismuth pellets for birds.
There's studies on lead levels in the blood of hunters and their families who use lead, and it is elevated, but not to completely alarming levels. The kids are usually over their lower limit, but not the adults their higher limit.

The people that I hunt with including me, butcher our own. Back in the good old days we would cut roasts and removed all bone. We always used a Garrett Carrot metal detector on the deep meat cuts to ensure there are no cooties or anything we couldn't see. We also used the Carrot on the bodies we killed just to make sure there wasn't something in there to cut or hurt us. Almost every bear the group killed had some form of broadhead or spent slug in the body somewhere. Same thing with a few of the elk we put down. We found about a seven inch piece of aluminum arrow and broadhead in it's liver. The Garrett Carrot is probably the best hand held metal detector on the market but there are other makes that are less expensive. One would be surprised how useful a Carrot can be.

Last edited:
Copper is something you body requires to function correctly. Everything is toxic if you have too much. There is both copper deficiency and toxicity. Just like water. But to call copper toxic like lead, is just factually incorrect. There is no functional use for lead in the body and it is toxic at very low levels.

There's studies on lead levels in the blood of hunters and their families who use lead, and it is elevated, but not to completely alarming levels. The kids are usually over their lower limit, but not the adults their higher limit.
Never stated it was toxic like lead. Your words. But I agree, even water can be toxic. Copper toxicity that is unbound is still an actual "thing".

My generation has been eating upland game shot with lead our entire lives. I know of no one that has died of lead poisoning.

If it was that toxic they should ban it altogether and dredge lakes and rivers because we've been using lead weights that entire time too in our drinking water for what, 100 years.

Be careful what you wish for
Never stated it was toxic like lead. Your words. But I agree, even water can be toxic. Copper toxicity that is unbound is still an actual "thing".

My generation has been eating upland game shot with lead our entire lives. I know of no one that has died of lead poisoning.

If it was that toxic they should ban it altogether and dredge lakes and rivers because we've been using lead weights that entire time too in our drinking water for what, 100 years.

I'll quote myself.

There's a misnomer that the effects of ingesting small amounts of lead is to get acute poisoning and die or immediately sick. That's not the case at all.

The most common issues associated with lead is decreased intelligence, behavioral issues and some other learning disorders in children.
In adults you have trouble sleeping/increased fatigue, irritability and and loss of sex drive. It's also associated with a myriad of cardiovascular diseases, nerve diseases and kidney diseases.

None of those things are things you can diagnose with, well I guess I didn't die.
In the end it's a personal choice. Maybe you're superman and none of that will happen to you with long term exposure like it does the rest of the population.