Lead fragments in meat?

The_Whitetail_kid

Question for everyone. As a lot of people know, I use Berger bullets, known for fragmenting. I'd always heard about fragments in meat, etc but never thought much about it because it'd never happened to me. While I was cooking some elk ground meat from a cow elk I'd shot last December, I saw a little gold something in the meat. Pulled it out and was a bullet fragment. I threw the package out and got another one, but was curious, how harmful are fragments and are they much to be concerned about? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Question for everyone. As a lot of people know, I use Berger bullets, known for fragmenting. I'd always heard about fragments in meat, etc but never thought much about it because it'd never happened to me. While I was cooking some elk ground meat from a cow elk I'd shot last December, when I saw a little gold something in the meat. Pulled it out and was a bullet fragment. I threw the package out and got another one, but was curious, how harmful are fragments and are they much to be concerned about? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
People have been using lead projectiles since the invention of the firearm lol
Ever swallow a coin as a kid? It passed

This should be good😅 the way I look at it my grandparents and their parents have been hunting with lead bullets for years and they all lived to a ripe old age and none if them have died from lead poisoning.

I just cut away from the areas that most likely contain the fragments and throw it out. So far I've been 100% successful in not finding any fragments at least large enough to see or feel

I was just wondering how common of an issue it was. I've heard people complain about it but it was the first time I'd seen it.

Last edited:
Question for everyone. As a lot of people know, I use Berger bullets, known for fragmenting. I'd always heard about fragments in meat, etc but never thought much about it because it'd never happened to me. While I was cooking some elk ground meat from a cow elk I'd shot last December, I saw a little gold something in the meat. Pulled it out and was a bullet fragment. I threw the package out and got another one, but was curious, how harmful are fragments and are they much to be concerned about? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Personally…..I think it's a non issue! Unless, you happen to swallow a piece of sharp jacket material.

Where I grew up, most people shot squirrels, rabbits, and ducks with shotguns. We attempted to remove the pellets when cleaning the game, but there's no telling who many we missed and ingested!

To my knowledge…..I've never known of anyone developing an illness from lead shot! memtb

Personally…..I think it's a non issue! Unless, you happen to swallow a piece of sharp jacket material.

Where I grew up, most people shot squirrels, rabbits, and ducks with shotguns. We attempted to remove the pellets when cleaning the game, but there's no telling who many we missed and ingested!

To my knowledge…..I've never known of anyone developing an illness from lead shot! memtb
& like the coin 🪙 kids swallowed, it passed thru 🌽

There's a misnomer that the effects of ingesting small amounts of lead is to get acute poisoning and die or immediately sick. That's not the case at all.

The most common issues associated with lead is decreased intelligence, behavioral issues and some other learning disorders in children.
In adults you have trouble sleeping/increased fatigue, irritability and and loss of sex drive. It's also associated with a myriad of cardiovascular diseases, nerve diseases and kidney diseases.

None of those things are things you can diagnose with, well I guess I didn't die.
In the end it's a personal choice. Maybe you're superman and none of that will happen to you with long term exposure like it does the rest of the population.

I don't know if it really matters to occasionally ingest some lead. Does it pass or sit in your gut? I could imagine digestive acids dissolving some of lead in the gut. I'm sure that there is some good science out there for answers if that is your thing. I personally shoot copper bullets for rifle and steel or bismuth pellets for birds.