Lazzeroni Lazerhead

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard the 200 gr. accubonds are popular. What of the wildcats? Is there a point of diminishing returns for the 300rum cartridge?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you shoot far enough, I don't think you'll get to a point of diminishing returns until over 240 grains, but maybe a little less with some bullet designs that make them longer for their weight.

I've been hunting with the 200 AccuBonds lately and I like them a lot...but the 240 SMK is definately easier to hit with once you get way out there. Hopefully I'll be trying some 240's from Richard this year (if his jackets ever come in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) in an attempt to dethrone the 200 AB as my go-to bullet.

We'll see.

But yeah, forget about the light bullets unless you aren't shooting very far. They simply aren't the best tool for the job.

Thanks for the info. I'll give Richard a call. No takers on the Lost River folks? BTW were you using 240 SMK's on game? I've heard that this is possible with good shot placement, just not recommended by the Sierra guys.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW were you using 240 SMK's on game? I've heard that this is possible with good shot placement, just not recommended by the Sierra guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no!!!

While I still won't be using MKs on game anytime soon, trust me when I say you don't want to start this debate.

Just another road I have also traveled.

B.J.

Yes. I used the 240 SMK to take one deer at the extreme range of 15 yds. Good thing I had the rangefinder.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It worked perfectly, blowing a big hole all the way through him. I probably would have kept using them had the AccuBond not come out.

However, this year I want to be able to shoot an elk in the *** at close range if I feel like it and would prefer a tougher bullet for that. I can only imagine what the terminal performance of a bonded core 240 30 cal is going to be like!

esorensen,
I am trying to help but I guess you want to listen to some one that tells you what you want to hear instead of the truth ,the lost rivers 165's are solid copper spun on a lathe ,(entry hole and exit hole same size) very seductive for paper not for critters

[ QUOTE ]
I found the lost river 165 gr. with its bc of .672 and an mv of @3500 to be quite seductive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please dont go doing anything stupid with these bullets. They are extremely finiky and will require large amounts of time and energy to find the ONE exact load that will shoot correctly. I think they will work just buying enough of the bullets to find that ONE load will put you in the poor house and your barrel throats erroded beyond use.
Stick with what others have suggested, Sierra SMK, Berger, JLK, Richard Graves and a few others but STAY AWAY from the Loste Rivers unless you enjoy loosing money as that is certainly what will happen and a garuntee they dont tell you about.

Brian, what you said couldn't be further from the truth. I don't have anyone to bounce these theories off of that have been floating around in my head for a few years. I don't have much practical experience shooting my sendero as it is the only rifle I have ever owned! I love it to death and I am only trying to do what is the best performance/ financially etc. You guys are now my only practical and thoeretical resource for my long range hunting endeavours. I should change the thread name to: "OK, light bullets don't work so now what?" I really am listening to what you are saying but it is tough to figure it all out in just a couple of lines. There is so much out there and so many misinformed opinions it is sometimes impossible to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak. I will be buying a .308 in the future to blow up these 150gr. bullets I bought.In fact I even thought about pulling the 26" bbl off the sendero and putting on something that will finish up to about 30" to get those heavier bullets to strut their stuff. But in the meantime, I'll try to put together that will be more prudent for extended ranges. Thanks again for your input.

Hey thanks. Boy they sure look good on paper though. I guess that is all they are good for shooting anyway. And talk about cost prohibitive!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.