Layout Blinds

Used mainly for waterfowl field hunting. Simple, low profile. Lay down and look up at the birds. You looking for more detailed info?

Not sure I would ever consider one for bowhunting. You are going to shock the prey when you open the flaps and sit up. Not to mention drawing a compound bow.

I use one for whitetail hunting here in Wi. Best way to do it is find a field where the crops have been cut off. Get your self set up on the edge of the field about 7 to 11 yards away from the trail where the deer come out into the field.
This exact distance is very important!
Any closer or further away I have found to make this style of hunting almost impossible.
When you set up the blind make sure there is a little hole in the side of the blind that you can look out at the deer trail where it intersects with the field.
Watch thru the hole with the doors on the blind closed until you see a deer enter the field.
At this point things can get tricky You MUST!! let them get at least 3 steps out into the field BUT! no more than 7 steps my sweet spot is right between step 4 and,5
At this point jump up as quickly as you can and draw your bow while shouting out the
most primal mating call that you can.
The mating call does a couple of key things! It stuns and attracts the deer at the same time causing it to freeze in it's tracks long enough for you to make a clean shot.
But most importantly it lets anyone else that is hunting near you know you are there thus creating a safer hunting environment.

I use one for whitetail hunting here in Wi. Best way to do it is find a field where the crops have been cut off. Get your self set up on the edge of the field about 7 to 11 yards away from the trail where the deer come out into the field.
This exact distance is very important!
Any closer or further away I have found to make this style of hunting almost impossible.
When you set up the blind make sure there is a little hole in the side of the blind that you can look out at the deer trail where it intersects with the field.
Watch thru the hole with the doors on the blind closed until you see a deer enter the field.
At this point things can get tricky You MUST!! let them get at least 3 steps out into the field BUT! no more than 7 steps my sweet spot is right between step 4 and,5
At this point jump up as quickly as you can and draw your bow while shouting out the
most primal mating call that you can.
The mating call does a couple of key things! It stuns and attracts the deer at the same time causing it to freeze in it's tracks long enough for you to make a clean shot.
But most importantly it lets anyone else that is hunting near you know you are there thus creating a safer hunting environment.
Post of the year nomination!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.