Shoulder hit, one lung, long blood trail...found him!

Bowhunter57

I was in a treestand, in the middle of the woods, in a triple tree that hid my location and overlooked a scrape. During the last 2 minutes of light, on Saturday, I seen a deer that came to the scrape, stood up and raked at the overhanging branches and then left as quick as it came. I thought it was a huge doe, as I couldn't see any antlers, but thought it a strange activity for a doe.

Sunday evening, the same deer, came into the scrape. However, it was 15 minutes earlier, a lot more light and this guy was wearing some headgear. :cool: Hanging from my safety harness, I leaned out as far as I could (the buck was behind my treestand) and took the best shot that he offered.

At the release of the arrow, I heard a loud "crack". :rolleyes: The obvious shoulder hit. He ran off and I gave him 40 minutes before taking up the trail. No blood or arrow, for 40 yards and then there was blood "splashes" for another 30 yards. Then I found my arrow, completely intact, with blood up to 16" of penetration. I felt better, but I wasn't done by a long way.

The blood trail continued for another 80 yards, but before exiting the woods, it slowed to a few drops. His line of travel, after leaving the woods was directly across a picked bean field...for another 700 yards. The tracking was going slow, ending up in a standing corn field, 2 hours later and with eyes looking back at me. He was still standing 2+ hours after the shot. He bolted further into the corn, when he seen my flashlight, so I decided to leave him until the morning.

I took up the blood trail in the corn, where the buck took off running and found him after another 170 yard "death run". :)

I learned a lot from this buck and the 1400 yard blood trail that he left behind. Despite a less than perfect shot, the Razor Trick gave me a blood trail that allowed me to find him...on Columbus Day. 230 lbs., 15" inside spread and 10 pts. A new Martin Cheetah was part of the equation too.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
CornFieldBuck.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.