Lawton Barrels

drewman

Does anyone have any experience with Lawton barrels?

How do they shoot or what do you thinks

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
From the write up that was in PS magazine,I wouldnt be afraid to give them a go.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

WOW! I had a different experience. I was talked into a twist I didnt want after he told me KIRBY used it and it worked great! After talking to KIRBY, he said he hadnt even fitted one of his barrels. It took 2 months to get another barrel he told me would take two weeks to replace the wrong one with one that had the twist I had originally asked for. I have had problems with his actions and concentricity/trueness. I had to send one back and get another. He called and I had told him I was with my wife and she was on her way into surgery and he continued to talk buisness. I had to hang up on him and call back later to finish working out the details but he was trying to tell me I needed to deburr his action and he just deburred it and was sending it back. Oh NO you dont I want another one because I know how to inspect a part and it was .0025 out of true front to back on the bolt race. Anyways I will be spending MY money elsewhere and will do my best to convince my friends also.

Jason

I have a couple Lawton barreled actions in several different calibers. I have dealt with Lawton for 6 years. They all "drive tacks" for me. Barney knows twist rates as well as anybody.

Why do you think Bill Sheehane, Bruce Baer, George Gardener and others use his products?

Please do not try and flame a ruputible, responsible maker without more specifics. I want to hear about the rifle, not the crisis about when they happen to call you. At least they called, and were trying to make things right and wanting to know your problems. I'm sure they had no idea of your situation at the time of this crisis.

Spend your money as you wish.

Kirby, did a test between a BAT action and a Lawton Action. The test showed the Lawton actions are almost as good as the BAT. Hearing Kirby praise the Lawton Actions was good enough for me to try not only an Action, but also a barrel. I have heard really good things about his barrels from many shooters, so I would be very comfortable in telling you to buy one. I am really looking forward to trying out his Action and Barrel. My gunsmith is going to do a test on the Lawton Action and a Nesika as soon as I receive it.

I was originally going to use a Lawton Barrel on my 300-WSM project. However, I decided to use a Krieger for this project, and I am going to use the Lawton Barrel on another project. So, as soon as use the barrel, I will let everyone know how they work.

I will soon be able to report how the test goes between the Lawton and Nesika action. I have heard that the Lawton Actions are almost as good as BATS and are definently as good as the Nesikas, we will soon find out.

Wildcat

I have used one of his actions and about 10 of his barrels and have no complaints. Knowing Barney, I have no doubt that he would have made things right on any suspect barrel or action. And how can you complain when it takes two months? Anywhere else would be six. But thats alright, if you shop elsewhere, my orders won't take as long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

djd, I don't think he flamed lawton. He simply told his story. If we only wanted to hear the good things, we could put on the hunting shows and watch the commercials.

I rely on forums because I get real opinions. Nobody is perfect in any business and **** happens. It doesn't mean that Lawton has a bad products. In fact, it seems that most people have nothing but praise for lawton products.

I don't think it right to complain about a guy speaking his peace. It how we get the facts.

Hi We are importing them into Australia and Barney is great to deal with and he has bent over to help us and has even purchased new tooling to make a barrel the dimentions we want for Full Bore and we have 10 of that barrel on order. We have recieved 10 barrels so far one was a 30 cal 34" long and fluted it is a thing of beauty i have not seen any manufacturer that finishes his fluting aswell as Barney. We have over 20 barrels still on order and the first 8 that have already been fitted are all tack holers and ran in very well. one of the 223's just one an open prize meeting 4 days after we fitted it against 308's and other 223's. This was back to 600 yards and they are limited to 80gr Sierra's for the 223 and Sierra and Dyer 155gr Projectiles for the 308's. This shooter has another 2 barrels on order with us. I have a 30" 338 heavy fluter barrel on order for my 338 WBX and he has bent over backwards to help me he is also sending special honed blanks i can use to make dies with. After dealing with a lot of barrel makers Barney has by far been the best to deal with out of any where in the World including here in Australia.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I would like to make a comment about that review I did on the Lawton receivers a while back.

The first few receivers I got in were very good quality and very square. There were four receivers I measured and inspected for this review, 2 M7000, 1 M7500 and 1 M8000.

Since then I have received six more M7000 and one more M7500 receiver. These receivers were not nearly as consistant as the first batch with bolt face to receiver face squareness running in the 0.0008 to 0.0012" range.

I demand this number to be less then 0.0002" to build on. As such, I have had to true up this last batch of receivers on my dime.

To be fair, I have several Stiller receivers in the shop as well and all are in this same squareness range.

While that original batch of Lawtons was very true, I am sorry to say all the ones since then have not measured up to that standard.

Again, the first receivers were very similiar to the BAT and Nesika Bay in sqaureness and trueness, since then the rest have not been in that same class.

But again, to be fair, they are in the same class as most of the other "ecomony" grade Rem 700 replacement receivers out there so I can not say they are not worth the money because it seems all the receivers in this price range are roughly the same quality out of the box.

It is my opinion that there are no receivers out there for under $800 that will be truely ready to build on out of the box.

As such, I have designed my own receiver design which should be available this summer that will solve these issues and also offer things no other receiver that I know of to date offers in a receiver that will fit into a Rem 700 stock and use Rem 700 accessaries.

This is not a flame agains Barney in any way. I have talked to him many time and feel is he a great guy with good products but I do have to be honest and say that my original review of the Lawton receivers is not what I am seeing currently.

In my opinion, the very best receiver out there right now for the money is the Borden receivers but they are not offered in the Lapua bolt face option. This is the reason I have designed my own receiver that is full capable if handling the Lapua size wildcats with no worries in any way of receiver fatigue.

Again, I am in no way flaming Barney. His barrels have set records in long range shooting matches, that does not happen by accident. I have one of his 30 cal 1-8 LRB barrels and while it will not shoot the Wildcat Bullets because of WAY to much Baring Surface Compression(BSC), it does shoot the Accubonds very well and I would imagine it would shoot any solid of heavy jacketed bullet well. Just not the thin jacketed bullets at the velocities my 300 AX has the potential to produce.

Just wanted to make my opinion clear for those that read that original review. Unfortunately from the receivers I have gotten in since, that original review does not hold true.

Kirby Allen(50)

Whatever you want to call it flame, story, blah, blah, blah. I am in no means shape or stretch of the imagination an expert. I am just stating that he has some bad buisness practices. When someone says "I cant talk I am taking my wife to surgery" You say something like allright I will talk to you later. Not continue on. I wasnt complaining as much of the trueness of the receiver but the fact he told me it was fine I should have deburred his final product. I do know a few things about machining, and know I would never send a burred nonfinished part out the door and then defend my sloppiness by saying you should have deburred it. The customer is allways right. If a guy calls in and wants a 8.5 twist .277 barrel that is what you give him. You dont start name dropping to convince the guy that someone of much more experience has used that exact twist and has found it to be the wrong twist and OH BY THE WAY I have the one you DO want on the shelf here. It was supposed to be going to KIRBY but I will just build him another when he buys more..... Sounds like a good idea. Yes it was my own stupidity for letting him swing my vote. But to use others names in made up situations. NOT COOL. So by his word he said he would have the replacement finished it two days and out by the end of the week. Two months later I got my replacement. I am not complaining about a two month barrel. I am complaining about a two month replacement for stupidity. Mine or his you will see it your way. But someones word is a measure of his man. Some people make it from superior parts some from superior salesmanship. I will take a craftsman over a carsalesman anyday. I still have a bolt stop coming. Its been a month since it was sent out. I am sorry I dont have the time or desire to go into more detail. I have been in contact with others that deal with or have delt with him in the past. I am not alone. I like the guy. I would just do things differently.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, the very best receiver out there right now for the money is the Borden receivers

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats good to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Fifty for the info, it's good to know that. I wish I would have known this before I bought one.

Jake

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.