Larue V. S. Spikes tactical?

Alfred Crouch

How do you folks rate the two quality and performance wise. Looking for target and varmit, mainly coyote use. Also which barrel would you prefer, 18" or 20"? Thanks for any and all input.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges...Spike's is a glorified mil-spec AR company, Larue is making custom grade rifles. I'm not saying Spike's isn't good, but you're not going to get Larue quality, and the prices reflect that.

I agree with all of the above, but would like to add that the Spikes stuff is still very high quality. The vast majority of folks (unless you're military, police,etc) wouldn't ever notice the difference between the two enough to warrant the difference in price. As for the barrel, The 18" is a nice compromise for what you want out of it. I like a 16in for calling and as long as possible for range work. But the 18 should do fine in both worlds, just look for a fast twist, I like a 1:8 minimum, or 1:7 if possible. And, as ICANHITHIM pointed out, you'd better get it RIGHT NOW if you can find one.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.