Larue Tactical mounts

backcountryguide

I just ordered Bushnell Tactical HDMR's for me and my brother so we can both run the same mil to mil setup. We have been looking hard at Larue's LT-120 as a mountig solution for the new scopes but I am worried about the height of the setup on my rig because Dont have an adjustable cheekpiece. I already installed a 20 moa base to maximize the turret travel in the Bushy and I think the mount will make it worse as far as a good cheek weld goes. So what say you should I buy a good set of lows or go with Larue? The reasoning behind the Larue was for the quik detach function so I can throw my glass in my pack on long bumpy wheeler and horse rides.

I use an HDMR with a Horus reticle on a 50 BMG rifle for ballistic tests. I use Seekins rings, but I use the supplied Torx wrench to tighten the screws. I always fire a couple of sighting rounds before tests, so I'm not too concerned with zero shifts.

I'm not a big fan of over-engineered mounting solutions like the Larue one-piece mount. The HDMR is a pretty sturdy scope. You could go with almost any quick detach 34 mm rings, and be able to move it on and off the rail about as well. If you have a steel rail, you might be fine using a small wrench to hand tighten the screws on conventional rings. You might want to try that on one rifle before investing $550 in a pair of Larue mounts.

As far as ring height goes, the 20 MOA rail will raise the eyebox about 1/16" or so. That's not much of a shift. To really optimize the ring height, I recommend that you use modeling clay to hold the scope on the rail while you check for cheek weld and scope clearance.

Thanks Bruce Seekins was actually my choice if I went that rought. The base on my Sako is aluminum. What quik detach rings do you suggest?

Other than Larue, I don't know who else makes them.

To have a reproducible zero, the base should be straight. Aluminum bases can get bent or twisted when they are tightened down to the receiver. If your aluminum base is either bedded or fits the receiver really well, then it's probably straight. In that case I would try conventional 34 mm rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.