Larry Willis collet die

Interesting! My son is having problems with his Browning 338WM chambering. I hadn't come across this problem before, and had me going. In reading all the imput here, I feel that's possible the problem with his chamber and dies. In my rifles I hadn't had any of those problems. About 25yrs ago I switch to neck sizing my belted mag, without any trouble. I was loosing case in 3 firing. I was and still do have a 308 NM rifle. It's shorter to the shoulder and longer neck than the 300WM. I happen by accident in trying neck sizing for that cartridge, but only could get a 300WM neck sizing die. I didn't want to wait for 6 to 9 months to get a special order die.
Being the difference in the two cases, the 300WM neck sizing die would only size about 3/4 of the neck. Leaving the balance unsized. It work just fine, and stop the case separation at the belt. My case life was extened to about 12 firing before I would loose the primer pockets. So now my cases are fired formed up and including about a1/4 to 1/3 of the neck. The balance of the neck was sized. It reduced my groups some, but I was close to 1/2" @ 100yds. I was and do shoot 165gr Nosler BT and AB in that rifle @ 3300fps. I am 5+grs over the manaul hot load. That why I began to loose primer pockets. I learned a lot during that time of going to the range at that time. My sons rifle is in Montana and I am in Mexico-North (aka Calif) presently so I can't measure his cases. So I order 3 die this morning. One sons is about 180m mile away from us and my brother reloads too for belted mag rifle. So I got a die for the 3 of us being we are in different places. The other is I don't want to wait until I get to measure the cases of my son. I can see the dies are not cheap either. Thanks for the imput. It's only money!😁
The very first brass that I ran across that needed the Willis die was many years ago and it was Browning head stamped 7RM that had been fired from a Browning rifle.

i have had one paid for and on back order since first of November hopefully see it someday
Well I just added 3 more to the list. So hopefully that will help to get them built. I forgot one rifle. A 300H&H mag to replace that was stolen from me. That was the first belted mag I purchased at age 14 and it started me into reloading. One of the best things I did in my life.

Last edited:
I almost ordered the LW die for my 257 WBY some months back but, I didn't care for the waiting period. On a suggestion from a member on another forum I ordered a Redding Body Die for the rifle...Bingo, it worked! I'm happy with the results and all brass cycles smoothly.
Same here only I didn't get the positive results you and others have. I can't get my body die to size right above the belt no matter how hard I try lol.

Same here only I didn't get the positive results you and others have. I can't get my body die to size right above the belt no matter how hard I try lol.
I won't know for some months yet until I get the dies. I do know that I am experiencing problem with my son rifle in 338WM chamber. I do feel that it's probable the problem is at or just about the belted portion of the case. That because where is stops at in chambering the case into the action. Besides they are not cheap either.

I have a custom 308 Norma Magnum rifle with a very tight chamber. As long as I am using brass
originally fired in this rifle, all is well. FL sizing or neck sizing works.
However, if I have any brass fired in another rifle, it will not chamber, even after FL sizing with a
good "bump over" in the press. The Larry Willis die fixes that brass exactly as claimed. It chambers
just fine after using the LW sizer. It is a quality tool that fills a need. Dave.

So Guys, for my 270 WBY Mag or my 300 WBY Mag, do need to select a diameter for the collet when I place an order??

I would suggest that you get a RCBS small base sizer for your 7 STW brass.

Brass is too large for the chamber.

Mic the various brands of NEW brass just in front of the belt, get ready for a shock in how much they vary. As reamers wear, they cut smaller chambers, plus reamer makers have a +/- 0.0005 tolerance in the reamer grind.

When there is only a .002 difference between the New brass dimension and the web dimension that the reamer cuts, you will end up with difficult extraction and production dies can be all over the map in spec due to reamer variances and heat treatment that may allow out-of-spec.

Some brands of STW brass is pure junk, soft where if you try and push the pressures, you get hard extraction, case head swipes, and enlarged primer pockets in a hurry.

I ended up with Winchster 7 STW brass and was very happy with it. If you can ever find any PMC 300 Weatherby and form it to 7 STW, you will have the finest 7 STW brass on the market.

AS been said before ,I didn't use all the time but had to use on some 257 bee brass that been resized several times.It worked very well.

I'm currently looking for one of these. I know there were a couple guys that said they had a spare, shoot me a message or send me a text with what You've got! Thanks boys 🇺🇸
435-406-9612

I wish it would fit the .378 Weatherby Mag cases, but no it does not.
I don't think it fits the .240 Wby Mags either??