lapua brass failure?

Thanks for all the advise..I will be contacting Lapua maybe they can shed some light on this. Im pretty positive the shoulders where sized correctly according to my chamber specs. which I obtained through the gunsmith/Reemer manufacture. I always use the proper comparator to measure the cases.

I'm not that familiar with the 6.5-06 A-Square but I do believe they have a longer length shoulder than a standard 06.

The shoulder is longer because it tapers to a smaller diameter. The headspace dimensions are the same on the SAAMI drawing.

And no I am not offended in anyway no apology needed B23. I just should have giving more background.. I can see though sometimes others post without reading the question it a terrible epidemic on sites like this. Thanks again

You need to know some measurements to determine what happened. With your comparator, what was the measurement of the new unsized brass, the new sized brass, the fired brass, and the fired brass that had been sized.

You need to know some measurements to determine what happened. With your comparator, what was the measurement of the new unsized brass, the new sized brass, the fired brass, and the fired brass that had been sized.
I agree you need to know how much they are being bumped. Usually the cause of case separation is too much bump. You can find out which cases you shot more and going to separate by running a small bent wire down inside the case and feeling for it. Matt

What kind of defect in the brass could cause a separation at the web?
Edd, you were not included in the early discussions and my comments thereof.

IMO it could be: over worked at the factory as in they didn't anneal properly or bad lot of brass coming from the foundry or any number of things. Factory operations are performed by humans with help from the machines that the humans setup. Humans are subject to error in execution, well I am anyway.

Basically, there is so much we don't know about the condition of the brass, the way it was treated before the OP got it. Details in minutia of what the OP did that the first couple of posts were conclusions made from no data.

Now we are getting data but still don't know if the OP over worked the brass or there was a factory issue or a chamber issue or or or or or or or..

My biggest flag in these sorts of discussions is "opinions" expressed as "conclusions". Got no problems with opinions, conclusions without data is hard to understand.

I don't think there is a mystery here. If the case body separated from the base, there is a better than average chance it had to stretch. If it stretched, it was, at some point, too short. If measurements were taken, it will be easy to determine when that was.

Must be a democrat in here, I didn't read anything criticizing, trouble shooting yes, but not criticizing. Funny how some people get offended for others, isn't that where "PC" came from??

Sounds like defective brass. If lapua doesn't replace the brass, I would compare a random sample, or all from that lot, and compare weight to water volume to see if there any extremes indicating thin walls.

No democrats just need t know how much he is bumping the shoulders. We can't help if we don't have the details. If a case fails at the base 99.9 percent of the time it was from bumping the shoulders too much. Matt

No democrats just need t know how much he is bumping the shoulders. We can't help if we don't have the details. If a case fails at the base 99.9 percent of the time it was from bumping the shoulders too much. Matt

I bumped the shoulders after fire forming 1-1/2thou off the gun... some of which needed to be bumped more than others which leads me to believe there was an inconsistence in my brass given my powder charges were consistent. Even though the human error factor that could cause this is very likely I don't think this is the case. What Im wondering is there a possibility the brass was defective and has anyone experienced this. I am positive I did not over bump the shoulders.

I have never seen or heard of bad Lapua brass. I have turned and shot thousands of them. Don't know why you would have to size different amounts to get bump unless they are shot different amount of times. I never reload them a different amount of times. That is an accuracy problem in it's own. I have seen lapua brass loaded 50 plus times. How did you measure that 1 1/2 thousandths bump? Matt

Did you have any amount of sticky bolt when these were fired the times before or any trouble chambering the brass?

I'm not quite sure why you bumped the shoulders back at all. Unless of course you needed to because they chambered hard.

I understand everyone does things a little different but I let the brass tell me when they need to be bumped back. I run them till I get one that chambers with a little resistance then I'll measure, bump, remeasure and that'll pretty much be my final setting on the sizing die. I don't know if I'm right or wrong, it's just how I do it and so far so good.

Did you have any amount of sticky bolt when these were fired the times before or any trouble chambering the brass?

I'm not quite sure why you bumped the shoulders back at all. Unless of course you needed to because they chambered hard.

I understand everyone does things a little different but I let the brass tell me when they need to be bumped back. I run them till I get one that chambers with a little resistance then I'll measure, bump, remeasure and that'll pretty much be my final setting on the sizing die. I don't know if I'm right or wrong, it's just how I do it and so far so good.

After fire forming they all did chamber a little stiff some more than others. Im sure this was due to the unevenly annealed part of the neck that was sized down into the shoulder 30-06 to 6.5-06 being a little softer than the rest of the shoulder. I too follow similar steps for bumping them back.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts