Ladies build

TysonLeal

I want to build hunting rifles for my wife and daughters. My goal is to build them lifetime rifles that fit so no matter what life brings they can always provide.

Im seeking pillar bedded wood, high cheek, short length of pull and light weight. I'd probably opt for standard long action, ultra light barrel and brake. But better options may exist...

Has anyone done a recent build for the ladies in their lives? Appreciate the help from those who have been there and done that.

Tyson

I built my oldest a 260 for her college graduation. It's on a savage action ,shilen barrel and a hot pink Boyd's stock. I also built the wife a 25/06 this past year. Remington action ,Douglas barrel and Bell & Carlson stock. Both rifles shoot around 1/2" the daughters a little better. We are headed to Wyoming this fall for antelope if we get drawn.

For a factory gun that would fit your daughters and wife a youth model 7 in a 308, 7mm-08, or yes the creed.
If you wanna go more towards the custom route Wayne at Pendelton stocks will make you the length of pull on his carbons he fit up my nephews wifes 6.5 creed for her shes a small gal.
The factory wood stock can have pillers installed, if ever theres a chance you may hunt elk or bear I may opt for the 7mm-08 or 308. My wife hunted with a 7mm-08 and I kept it down around 2750 fps with 140 to keep recoil down.

Thanks for the feedback and combo suggestions. If I go short action 7-08 is the likely choice. Long action probably 270 win. The stock is my primary concern. Custom carbon may not be a bad way to go.

I built my wife a 22" barrel 7mm08 on a Bell and Carlson Alaska Ti stock. I think it has 12 3/4" or 13" LOP. Wife is 5'5" and fits her well. 7 1/2lbs with scope and sling.

I want to build hunting rifles for my wife and daughters. My goal is to build them lifetime rifles that fit so no matter what life brings they can always provide.

Im seeking pillar bedded wood, high cheek, short length of pull and light weight. I'd probably opt for standard long action, ultra light barrel and brake. But better options may exist...

Has anyone done a recent build for the ladies in their lives? Appreciate the help from those who have been there and done that.

Tyson
Natural wood has "issues" witch changes in temp and humidity. Personally I prefer laminates to natural wood because they are basically about 70% or more epoxy with thin strips of plywood as filler. Lighter options are the quality composites but with them of course the price increases. I have a lightweight McMillan on one of my .375 Rugers that is awesome but you're talking around 650.00 for the stock alone.

Whatever stock you go with you want to go ahead and have it properly pillar bedded if you choose one that doesn't come with a full length bedding block. There are also some "drop in" aftermarket blocks that can be installed by a gunsmith with some mill work on a wood stock.

H-S Precision and Bell and Carlson are some mid range priced composites that are pretty good quality as well. One problem I've noticed though with some of the old H-S's is that eventually they will crack and chip around the thin edges contacting the action. These are 20 year old or older stocks though and I think they are using better epoxies now.

My wife is very petite so youth model stocks are necessary for her to have a good fit. I dropped one of my Ruger FTW Hawkey .260's into a nice laminate and cut it off to fit her but if I'd looked hard enough I'm sure I could have gotten her a nice McMillan or Laminate in a youth model that would have worked just as well or better.

In a long action there are dozens of different cartridges that will work well.

The size of the girls/women, their tolerance of recoil, and application will all factor into the "ideal cartridge" for each.

If they can shoot I wouldn't at all be afraid of using one of the 6.5's even on Moose/Elk with the right bullet out to 400yds. The heavier/large diameter the bullet and greater the energy the more margin of error you have but you're also increasing felt recoil and muzzle blast so there are lots of things to consider.

With a good muzzle brake though you will be surprised. Even my wife and nieces the latter two of which will barely break a hundred pounds if that can shoot my 7mm STW's with no problem using pretty stout 150-180gr bullets because of the reduced muzzle flip and reduced recoil.

I built my wife a 6.5-284 off a Remington long action 2 years back. She is sound sensitive and doesn't mind recoil, so I put a Bartlein Rem Varmint contour finished @ 26". I wanted the extra weight so she could drive the rifle better. I went with an HS stock @ 13" LOP and she shoots the thing lights out!

Both Weatherby and Savage make lady's model rifles. The stocks are more than rerduced standard stocks. I bought a Savage for my wife last year, and she loves it. Check them out.

Tyson

There are a lot of cartridges and componenents that will work, the stock seems to be the key piece. They aren't real high end, but the boyds AT-One stock is pretty reasonable and I think looks ok. They can adjust it to meet their needs - LOP, comb etc. my 11 year old has one on a 6.5 creed and it has been really good. Will allow the gun to grow with him. Going to put one on my daughters 243 here soon too.

I saw weatherby has a line of guns catered to women. The stock design on those looks pretty unique, don't know what good that does for a custom build other than maybe you can find a similar shaped stock somewhere.

I'm now searching the internet with the suggestions and insight you've all shared.

The stock is the linchpin to this whole deal. My sentimentality is what drove my desire for a wood stock. I remember the day my dad gave me my first deer rifle. The feel and smell of the oiled wood stock is/was unforgettable.

I appreciate your inputs

Tyson
I have been contemplating a wife/daughter build for deer and my choices are narrowed down to a 260 Rem. With a 20 in Proof Sendero light and a Defiance ultralight or Lone Peak TI action. I will drop mine in an AG composites CF stock though.

Women and girls need a different stock completely on average than a dude, once you get a rifle that is female specific in the stock and as a dude you try to shoot it you will realize how bad our guns feel to them. I was going to do a full custom for my daughter but really the Weatherby Camilla is impossible to beat, all I would do really is send the stock in and get a super nice piece of wood made for it on a duplicator. My daughter HAMMERs with her Camilla!!

McMillian just released at shot a womens stock. Gina M. was one of the principals behind the design
Boyds At One and now they have an at one version in the thumbhole. These are adjustable for grip lop and cheek weld. I will have an AtOne thumbhole by the summer for a build that is coming.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.