ladder testing load development

Hooscow

Working on load development and trying the "ladder testing" method. I found a spot that where my ES was under 10 and I shot a group at .675. I then adjusted my bullet seating depth up .015 and back .015. It shot better backed off and I am under .5" group, but my ES opened up to 30 fps. So do I start changing the powder charges slightly here to see if I can reduce my ES?

Sounds like you can continue to fine tune your OCW testing. You tweaked seating and tightened up your groups. Now retest in .1 -.2 grain increments and find the sweet spot that is both accurate and has good ES/SD. Looks like you're close. đź‘Ť

None of what you're describing is ladder testing
The short answer is yes, that is what I would do.

How many shots are you basing your ES number on?

5 shots originally

I am trying a method based on the Saterlee. Which I thought was called a ladder test?
No. What you're doing is more tail chasing than ladder testing.

If you want low ES you might look at OCW testing. If you want peak accuracy look up ladder testing.
Either way you should do full seating testing -to set your best coarse seating -before moving on to powder.
Then when you do a final seating tweaking (for tightest group shaping) it won't mess up whatever powder node you had developed.
It's moving forward instead of roundy-roundy

No. What you're doing is more tail chasing than ladder testing.

If you want low ES you might look at OCW testing. If you want peak accuracy look up ladder testing.
Either way you should do full seating testing -to set your best coarse seating -before moving on to powder.
Then when you do a final seating tweaking (for tightest group shaping) it won't mess up whatever powder node you had developed.
It's moving forward instead of roundy-roundy

When you say "full seating test-to set your best coarse seating-....", where should one begin seating? How far should one go with seating changes? Moving in what increments? Thanks for your help...

This works for ALL bullets

I've been chasing my tail for awhile with this also as far as do powder first then seating or vise versa. I've been doing seating first and have been able to get down to 1/2 minute which is good for me but then I built the 308 lightweight carbon fiber. Watching the ladder test video on 6.5 guys he said seating wasn't so important to seat middle of the road and do ladder test, then tweak seating depth. I've now invested in Labrador so me and 308 are in the fight now!! May take 10k rounds who knows.

I'm just trying to save you barrel life & time.
When someone suggests that seating doesn't matter, at any point, they're lost as a nine-eyed dog..

These are likely people who have never done full seating testing, but only post powder seating tweaking. If they try beyond this, they collapse their powder development to that point, making it appear that best seating results are always near of what they pulled out of their butts to begin.... WRONG
There is no reason best seating would be near a total guess

A lot of times your best accuracy isn't always going to be your "flat spot" or your lower ES. I have shot groups with 3 FPS difference but we're moa vertical string at 300. .5-1 grain higher and it shot great but es was about 16.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.