LA vs Medium for saum

No need to try to improve the SAUM case design.
As is, it is a very efficient design.

Doing so called improvements may not achieve any additional efficiency.
Increase in case capacity doesn't necessarily make it more efficient.

Everything comes at a cost or trade off of some sort.

I've ran improved version, juice wasn't worth the squeeze & didn't achieve the desired results.

Went back to a Standard SAUM.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Doing so called improvements may not achieve any efficiency. Increase in case capacity doesn't necessarily make it more efficient. Everything comes at a cost or trade off of some sort.

I've ran improved version, juice wasn't worth the squeeze & didn't achieve the desired results.

YMMV.
Appreciate the input.

Doing so called improvements may not achieve any additional efficiency.
Increase in case capacity doesn't necessarily make it more efficient.

Everything comes at a cost or trade off of some sort.

YMMV.
What are you seeing out of your current SAUM?

I'm running a 6.5 SAUM Improved. Picked up what appears to be significant case capacity and runs 130 Terminal Ascents @ 3250 and 144LRHT @ 3150 with a 21" barrel. This is with H1000.

IMG_4203.jpeg
IMG_4202.jpeg

If I were to do my 6.5 SAUM Improved build again, I would use the BAT VESPER medium length action with the UM bottom metal to go with it.
Those are at 2k. I was thinking about them but was like that seems high. What's the big difference between the antiX and the vesper

Those are at 2k. I was thinking about them but was like that seems high. What's the big difference between the antiX and the vesper
With the new pricing structure of Defiance since the buyout they are likely to be close to the same price.

Also, not sure if it applies to the VESPER actions but they are running a 20% off on UM products for BF.

Im not sure of the specs on the Anti X but the VESPER has a 3.4" load port and their BM + mags to match.

My current rifle is built on a Pierce Skele Ti that was almost $1800 so the Vesper wouldn't cost much more but would weigh about 8oz more.

With the new pricing structure of Defiance since the buyout they are likely to be close to the same price.

Also, not sure if it applies to the VESPER actions but they are running a 20% off on UM products for BF.

Im not sure of the specs on the Anti X but the VESPER has a 3.4" load port and their BM + mags to match.

My current rifle is built on a Pierce Skele Ti that was almost $1800 so the Vesper wouldn't cost much more but would weigh about 8oz more.
That Pierce is that much lighter? Thats crazy! The AntiX XM are 23 oz and the medium vesper is 25 oz. Is that Pierce nice or just ok?

That Pierce is that much lighter? Thats crazy! The AntiX XM are 23 oz and the medium vesper is 25 oz. Is that Pierce nice or just ok?
Yep 18oz on a short action. It's a very nice action but I can see where people say titanium isn't as smooth as steel. It's very slick for titanium I'm told but I can feel where it's not as smooth on the locking and unlocking of the bolt.

IMG_4024.jpeg

Fire formed adg 65 Saum holds 73.9gr in my chamber. 240k freebore for a 156 Berger ends up around 3.110" touching lands. A long action utilizing the hawking LA hunter mags with the magazine block for short mags is great. @Rhovee runs a 7saum in this configure with a Bat vampire. Unknown munitions just released a short action dbm, and short mag XL that holds 3.15" cartridge but only works with a Bat action with a bottom load port longer than 3.150. My bumblebee action is 3.175", so I'm gonna run this setup for a true long throat 6.5 short mag on a short action. To eject a loaded round I'll likely have to hit the bolt release, but oh well. The bat bumblebee is pretty light as well, 23oz with integrated recoil lug and Pic rail.

I went from a 300 win to a 6.5 saum after watching my buddy take elk after elk with his 26 nosler. I wanted something with less recoil and also bucks the wind. No regrets on the 6.5 saum, now I'm wondering if I should have went 7 saum or 6.5 prc for factory ammo. Your idea of a 6.5 saum for elk is perfectly fine. I shoot 140 accubonds and have not had a single issue. Best wishes, btw I built mine on a long action tikka and it works flawlessly.

Fire formed adg 65 Saum holds 73.9gr in my chamber. 240k freebore for a 156 Berger ends up around 3.110" touching lands. A long action utilizing the hawking LA hunter mags with the magazine block for short mags is great. @Rhovee runs a 7saum in this configure with a Bat vampire. Unknown munitions just released a short action dbm, and short mag XL that holds 3.15" cartridge but only works with a Bat action with a bottom load port longer than 3.150. My bumblebee action is 3.175", so I'm gonna run this setup for a true long throat 6.5 short mag on a short action. To eject a loaded round I'll likely have to hit the bolt release, but oh well. The bat bumblebee is pretty light as well, 23oz with integrated recoil lug and Pic rail.
I'll be interested to see the specs on the VESPER short action when it is released.

What are you seeing out of your current SAUM?

I'm running a 6.5 SAUM Improved. Picked up what appears to be significant case capacity and runs 130 Terminal Ascents @ 3250 and 144LRHT @ 3150 with a 21" barrel. This is with H1000.

View attachment 513053View attachment 513054
Who chambered that Sam imp for you? I asked a few gunsmiths and they don't have a reamer for Sam imp

Recent Posts