krg xray chassis questions

vegas steve

i like the looks of the xray,but i am wondering how stiff the forearm is on this chassis?looks kinda flimsy in the pics on the internet.are they a solid performer for longrange steel shooting?

Well i can only assume the xray is junk since no one can offer an opinion

Hello,

Steve that would be a bad assumption. Justin and his crew at KRG produce top tier products; it is just who they are and what they do. They do not know any other way or method.

I would assume the reason you did not get any comments to your question is the KRG is geared toward a slightly different shooting genre than what is majority here at lrh. I would suggest go ask your question on the "hide" and see how many replies of positiveness of the KRG products you get.

THEIS

I purchased an xray last week,and it arrived today.very strange engineering design.i like the front half of the chassis,but the entire buttstock assembly is very flimsy and doesnt interface rigidly with the reae tang of the receiver area .the whole back of the chassis feels like a wet noodle.i believe whole heartily that a choate tactical at one third the price is a way better choice.this krg is definetly being returned

Hello,

What part of the rear stock is "noodle" to you? Top connection or bottom connection?

I will pass your information onto Justin....

THEIS

there is only one interface area where a dovetail of the buttstock slides into the rear tang of the receiver area of the front part of the chassis.this connection has a very poor tolerance,and is a very loose fit considering it is the only area that mates the two pieces together.i had to add shims at the top of the dovetail area just so the buttstock wouldnt arch upward at the recoil pad when tightened and make the chassis look warped like a banana.the rear action screw doubles as the bottom screw to help hold the buttstock to the rest of the chassis,so if you only torque the action screw to 65 inch pounds it does nothing at all to increase any rigidity at the connection.even after shimming and giving the bolts a good tightening the buttstock has alot of side to side flex.it was just made too thin to to save weight.hopefully the whiskey 3 isnt like the xray.for the money spent the xray feels more like a kids toy to me than a high end chassis.

another design flaw that doesnt make sense is the adjustable recoil pad that comes with the xray. if you have the pad up high for prone shooting you have to completely remove the pad assembly to clean the gun with a rod,or go buy the longest rod made,or the cleaning rod handle will strike the pad.the proper design wd allow the vertical height of the recoil pad be lowered via a screw or bolt down inside the recoil pad that once loosened,wd allow the pad to be adjusted down for cleaning the gun,like a morgan or speedlock pad setup.

A considerate person mentioned that there was someone bashing KRG over on LRH. I come to check it out and find this? Let's see what we have here...

On 5 Feb the original poster asks in the general discussion forum about the X-ray, within 2 days of no attention he concludes that it's junk. Within 3 days of that he has already received one he ordered "last week" and promptly confirms its junk status.

Yeah sounds legit...
Justin
KRG

Popcorn_nommer_zps55b98a2b.gif

ya lets see some pics Steve show us whats up with this stock so the rest of us don't make the same purchase mistakes!!!

A considerate person mentioned that there was someone bashing KRG over on LRH. I come to check it out and find this? Let's see what we have here...

On 5 Feb the original poster asks in the general discussion forum about the X-ray, within 2 days of no attention he concludes that it's junk. Within 3 days of that he has already received one he ordered "last week" and promptly confirms its junk status.

Yeah sounds legit...
Justin
KRG

Yes its definetly legit there justy.to me its not bashing when the problems are real.ive been working on this chassis for a few days now trying to stiffen it up and make it useable.you can speculate and nitpick my thread all you want,but there is no gettin around the fact that a 600.00 chassis should not need any additional work to make it reliable for competion

I ended up bedding two and a half inches of the barrel channel in front of the recoil area to help make the forearm stiffer.without it you could easily make the spigot touch the bottom of the barrel even tho there is close to a 1/4" gap between the two at rest. I had to add a wedge block shim to the top rear portion of the buttstock tang to help force the buttstock assy downward so when bolted in place,it is linear with the forearm and not bowed like a banana.even with these upgrades the chassis is still very flexible and spongy feeling.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.