knoxx axiom stock

thomo

Has any member had much to do with the axiom stock.
Dose the recoil reduction system actually work,as most people who recommend them also say to place a muzzle break on as well.
If you compare a 338 using the system above, what would it compare to in recoil.
30-06, 308,270,243 ?

I have 2 of them and love them both. I got the first one mainly becuase I thought it looked cool on Howa 1500 .243 (no recoil reduction needed). And then I bought a replacement stock for Howa 1500 300 WM. I can not compare because I never shot the 300 with the regular stock. However, it is hard for me to compare to what cal. it kicks like becuase it is a different type of kick. It is more of a firm push. It seems to slow it down a bit or something. I would put it between .308 and 30-06. I love the free float barrel and I get 1 hole accuracy at 100 yards from both.

hope this helps

jb

It seems that accuracy would be worse or at least inconsistent with all the moving parts. How far out have you shot with it and how were you groups?

I have only shot 100 yards so far, but here are the results. As long as it is set up right and the bolts are tight consistancy should not be an issue.

jb

1286129637.jpg

1286129705.jpg

I have a Knoxx stock but it is not the Axiom, it is the regular one, the Compstock

BLACKHAWK! Rifle CompStock - BLACKHAWK!

It is on my 375 Ruger. I don't particularly like muzzle brakes and so I built a heavy hunting rifle off a Winchester 70 long action. With a #5 Pac-Nor 3 groove at 24", 6x42 IOR Tactical and the Knoxx Compstock it weighs 11.5#. It is not unpleasant to shoot at all and I would compare it to an unbraked 338 win mag. When shooting a 270 gr bullet at 2900 fps then that is not bad at all.

My Knoxx stock is very well made with a full bedding block
DSCN1779.jpg

But, the receiver and SCOPE come backward and if you are putting it on a heavy kicker then you need to get a scope with the most eye relief you can find. The 6x42 IOR I have advertised a 4" eye relief and it is MINIMAL for my 375. I can feel the scope just touch my eyebrow on a few occasions. I am now thinking about a Bushnell 1.25x8x32 Elite 6500 which has an advertised eye relief of 6". I would assume you would have the same problem if you put it on a long range 338.

Nice Groups. Were those 2 groups shot with the same setup. Wondering if the vertical stringing on the first group had something to do with the stock movement or maybe another factor?

I had one on a 257 weatherby. I cant say how much it reduced the recoil because i did not shoot it before putting the stock on there but i can tell you i did not like shooting it off a bench. Very hard to get set up on bags.

I have the standard Houg overmold recoil redusion stock on Mauser 98 300 Win with new 26" barrel just got past barrel breakin and at 200yds I shot one group at just over an inch and another just under 3/4 I could not belive it and its like shooting a 308
Would like to custom fit my 6.5x284 Mauser in an Axiom
Mike

I tried one on my heavy barrel Rem 700 MilSpec. From an accuracy standpoint, I was quite impressed. Groups were consistent .25-.5 MOA. Recoil, as described in an earlier post, was more of a push but did feel about like a 243. I ended up taking it off for a couple of reasons. First, the fore end is very flimsy and dd not support the heavy barrel well. When mounted on a rest it would flex about 1/16". Second, the spring system also displayed some play vertically when I grabbed the barrel and stock and exerted pressure. While all this didn't effect my accuracy and group size at 100-200 yards, it made me cautious about using it for precise long range work. My original reason for trying the Axiom was the ergonomics of the stock. I'm a fan of the AR15 style stock, and this stock felt very good. Were it better made, it would be a gem.

I put the axiom u/l on my vanguard. 270 win in an attempt to compensate for recoil for my girl. Shes a little thing and while she could shoot it with the factory stock, after a dozen rounds she had to put it down. When i did this my go to elk gun was a remington 700 .300 wm. I just sold it. I LOVE shooting the .270 with this stock. The recoil is significantly reduced, the obviously floated barrell is never affected no matter how hard or what angle im leaning on the stock, and the pistol grip is comfy and really helps steady the gun vs. the factory traditional stock. I have found a significant improvement in my shooting (and hers too, after all its supposed to be for her). My last elk was dropped with one shot at 700 yards. I like it so much i just ordered another to put together a .338 wm howa for the really long shots.

There a few things to get used to. I have found thàt between the buttstock and grip recoil system you have enough movement that if you are close to your scope it will hurt. With the .270 i need about 3" of eye relief. I would anticipate needing more accordingly with larger calibers. Since it does move, shooting off a bipod can get a little squirrely with rapid follow up shots. Off a sandbag or my hunting pack i can smack an 8" gong at 300yds with 6 rounds in about 10-12 seconds. Point being you can stay on target much better without the bipod. I have had no problem with accuracy whatsoever using a bipod but i have to slow down a bit. My only real gripe is that it can be a pain to find a bipod that really fits the forend and this in turn results in the sling stud getting loosened and the **** thing swiveling around sometimes. Oh that and it causes me to blow a lot on ammo :)

I had one briefly and absolutely could not stand it. The recoil reduction was negligible and the extra movement in the recoil impulse was intolerable. Cool looking and well built and may be exceptable for off hand shooting but for real rifle work I had to sell the stock, file the idea in the tacticool junk folder and get a good muzzle brake for recoil. Just my opinion from my experience.

A I would absolutely agree that for long range bench work there are better configurations out there. Perhaps I should have pointed out a few more considerations for my situation.
First off, I'm not about to spend 6 grand on a shooting system. I would love to but I just cant. I initially tried this option vs. adding a muzzle brake because it is very easy to switch out and not permanent. If i decide I dont like it or it breaks I can switch stocks in a few minutes even on my tailgate. Another big factor for me is the adjustability of the stock. I'm over 6' tall and about 200 lbs and my girl is 5'2" and 110 soaking wet. With the adjustability we can carry one gun on a hunt and both easily use it. As far as actual recoil reduction I can only speak for my gun. To be honest I had a hard time at first deciding how much recoil it actually eliminated because the
270 really doesnt bother me to begin with. I went back and forth between this stock and the factory stock and for this gun it does significantly reduce it. At the end of the day, the bottom line is this:I went from being confident at 300 yards to casually hitting 500 yards and having to actually start getting serious after that. I shoot tighter groups than before, hands down. My girl went from being all over the place at 300 to 5-8" groups after only shooting this system once and now enjoys shooting it. While that may not be anything to brag about, the point is that it has helped both of us improve our shooting and while serious long range shooters may not like it, for someone on a budget who wants to start bridging the gap between "typical" ranges and longer shots it may help build. confidence and make shooting more fun, which I think is really what its all about anyway.

Makes a good youth stock that will grow with the youngster. Got one on my 25-06AI. I can shoot it or set if for the kids. Just don't let them crawl up on the scope as mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts