Kirby, Maybe we should make a 338AM or Snipe-Tac in a pistol??

Actually that is incorrect.

Unless you're starting with a rifle action, a hand gun can have just about any length, but I would suggest at least 17".

Larry
Tinkerer

This is a pretty old post, but I did actually build a SP in 338 Big Baer. I get right about 2850 fps with a 300 gr bullet from the 20" barrel.
vNE2VpC.jpg

Whats the logic for this?
I mean 2850 is about 400 fps slower than average for that cartridge.
These cartridges are intended to impress animals and other things at extreme distances.
A loss of 400 fps would tend to impress those things a lot less.
Otherwise we would all be very happy with 338 Lapuas.

Whats the logic for this?
I mean 2850 is about 400 fps slower than average for that cartridge.
These cartridges are intended to impress animals and other things at extreme distances.
A loss of 400 fps would tend to impress those things a lot less.
Otherwise we would all be very happy with 338 Lapuas.

This gun exists so that I could get 338 Edge performance from a Specialty Pistol. The only way to do that in a 20" barrel is to burn a lot of powder!

It's capable of higher velocity but it shoots best right about 2850 fps. I have 30" rifle in the same chambering that's capable of well over 3300 fps but shoots best at about 3200 fps.

Well sometimes when we hear the words (shooting better), it might also relate to case life, as in maybe 1 firing as opposed to maybe 3 before chucking the case. That's as a rule what a 50 fps gain offers with 4 or 5 more grains of powder, even with a 34" barrel.
I guess my question would be if a 20" barrel with a Big Baer case only produces Edge velocity, then why not just shoot the Edge case?
I can tell you this much, shoot 250 grn bullets in the Edge, or the 338x378 instead of the highly touted 300 grn, and it might open your
eyes some.

Well sometimes when we hear the words (shooting better), it might also relate to case life, as in maybe 1 firing as opposed to maybe 3 before chucking the case. That's as a rule what a 50 fps gain offers with 4 or 5 more grains of powder, even with a 34" barrel.
I guess my question would be if a 20" barrel with a Big Baer case only produces Edge velocity, then why not just shoot the Edge case?
I can tell you this much, shoot 250 grn bullets in the Edge, or the 338x378 instead of the highly touted 300 grn, and it might open your
eyes some.

I would, but I already shoot the 250gr bullets from my 338/375 Ruger specialty pistol at 2760fps from the 18" barrel.
NBALkHI.jpg

I had that gun out yesterday while shooting at 1160 yards. The 338 Big Baer Pistol comes out for the shots beyond 1300 yards. That's about the range where the 284 Win and 338/375 Ruger pistols start to go transonic and it's time to bring out the big guns!;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.