Kirby, Maybe we should make a 338AM or Snipe-Tac in a pistol??

Black Diamond 408

Hey Kirby what you think, Your 338AM or my 338 Snipe-Tac in a hand cannon? I have several extra action blanks on the way, Rem 700 style. I also have two full bolt recievers that have some blemishes, I cant sell them but would make a nice test gun. I could shorten the reciever so a fired round would eject, unfired would have to slip out the bolt. Barrel length...18"? Get a custom Laminated stock for the bigger action.

I bet this would be a fun gun. What you think????

Dave

I forsee you having to wear a welding mask to protect your eyes from the eclipse that barrel would belch with each pull of the trigger. Interesting idea for sure!

Dave,
Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
All I can say is that I would be a willing volunteer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Crow Mag (Eric) already has a rear grip 338 Lapua Imp and I think a 30x338 Lap Imp in a SP (handcannon).
Steve (sscoyote) has been buggin me when I was going to jump to the 338.
Even if I never shoot one like that I sure want to hear about it if the two of you do it.

Ernie;

I was following your posts and seen your results! Darn impressive! What do you like the best, rear grip or center grip? Its been a long time since i fired a XP, i had a plain ole 221 fireball, factory gun, was a lot of fun to shoot P-Dogs with.

What scopes do you use on your set ups?

Dave

Dave,
For pure bench use I would suggest a rear grip. It gives you the ability to get a great trigger like a Jewell (lighter pull, faster lock time, etc).
For a dual purpose SP I prefer the center-grips.
You can get a extremely light trigger pull with a after market center-grip trigger & linkage (no safety) made for an XP. I have never tried one yet myself.
If I use a long eye relief scope it is the Burris 3-12. All of mine have the ballistic plex reticle and most have target turrets, at least on the vertical adj.
I have three rifle scopes I use on my SP's
The Leupold Mark 4 8.5x25 you see on my 7mm Dakota that Kirby built for me. Burris 6-24 Black Diamond (30mm tube)and a another Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20.
Richard Near makes pic mounts for the XP and have his on all of mine save one which is a Farrel.
It would be interesting to see what can be done.
The 7 Dakota w/ Richard's 200 WC (BC approx .83) @ 2706 fps is a wind eating bullet for a specialty handgun at LR.

Dave,

You can be in charge of designing the stock to survive this little beast. That is one of the main concerns with large handguns. The stocks like to crack or flat out break!!

Fire starting hazard would be pretty high as well. You would have to wear a full face shield. I suspect about 40% of the powder would be buring outside the bore, that being in your face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ernie,
to bad you didn't shoot my xp at SHOTS last year it has a Dell Taylor trigger and I just put in a Mike Dewey trigger in another xp for silhouetts. Both can go down to the 2-4 oz range neither with safetys. I got Mikes this time because the stock isn't relieved enough in the trigger area and his has the ability to move the trigger forward more.
I like the center grip for creedmore shooting but sure like the rear grip with bi pod for prone shooting.
BTW the action is with Rich right now (MOA) for the new barrel. I sure liked shooting yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Make the stock out of an aluminum billet like Bruce Baer does for the 1K heavy rifles.

James

[ QUOTE ]
I think you would look like a chimney sweeper after pulling the trigger on that one. Yikes, not for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just make sure the wind is at your back before you pull the trigger!

How about a Derringer for concealed carry? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My 338 Lapua IMP hand cannon with a 18" barrel and 300g bullets is not thet bad to shoot I shoot it with a 8.5x25 Leupold boosted to 20x50 rifle scope. It burns most of the 92g or H1000 I put in the case with Mag primers I am getting over 2500 fps. We shot it to 1 Mile with good resalts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I dont thing you will gane much by going to a 408 CT case over the lapua but the only way to be shure is to build one and see what it will do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I wouldn't brag too much about that 18" barrel since 16" is the legal limit by federal law /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.