king of 22's

ARlife4me

Looking for a unique 22cal for an AR platform.

22br rem and all that follow (or lead if need be)? Some of the br cartridges whether it be 22, 24 or 26cals that'll fit in an AR15 platform would/could be a nice choice? 22v is ho-hum, 22n has it's possibilities and ejection issues, 5.56 has good power, but with weight limitations, 22wssm would kill a barrel quick (or maybe not) and a list of other 22's I have no knowledge about could be on this list. I was on QL doing some searching and some cartridges didn't have a pic for reference. I came across the br rem cartridge and did some work with a 20" barrel down to 16" and found some interesting data (not proven) with 75-85gr bullets. Most are within 22-250 velocities and would be close on 22creed also. With max psi being around the 58k"ish" the barrel life should be long and fruitful?

Looking for a unique 22cal for an AR platform.

In today's world?

Good Luck! ;)

Nearly every case design has been necked up or necked down by one shooter or even more when a little appreciation develops within the shooting circles. Newer case designs coming to market have been measured in mere 10ths of seconds before some wildcatter broadcasts their 'new' wildcats to the world. It's becoming laughable.

However, if you can tolerate the lack of uniqueness, especially considering the AR markets, most of the more common cases work incredibly well in these platforms. The .22-250 is a terrific case for the larger ARs. It's short enough for the longer bullets with the sleeker ogives and the case makes feeding and extraction easy with the tapered case.

Upping the performance a little, you can run the .22 Creedmoor quite easily and gain more velocity.

The tip of the peak, in my opinion, is the .223 WSSM. Yes you will have to learn to tolerate all the screaming about barrel burners and short barrel life. Remember, the ones that scream the loudest really don't know and don't have any personal experience based on good performance. They simply repeat what others who don't know write on the internet. But some investment in time and testing can yield a very compatible cartridge when you find the right powder/bullet combination. No you won't achieve the level of the .22 K-Hornet in barrel life but you will have the performance you might seek.

Enjoy the search!

:)

I saw one AR platform using 300Wm. Groups wasn't that good but under 5" @ 100yds, That could have been the shooter too. So I can't blame the rifle. I have a couple of AR, but don't use them. They are for a rainy day. I had my fill of them in Vietnam. No I don't own an AK either.