Kimber Stock fix/replacement

ADQHunter96

Looking for recommendations on preferably a gunsmith to replace a butt pad on a Kimber subalpine stock. Kimber offered to replace the stock however because I had the action and barrel cerakoted they would only put the new stock on if I paid to have them refinish the gun back to its original coating. I would potentially be open to sending it somewhere to have a custom stock made but ideally would just get my current stock fixed.

Attachments

• 54595D88-4417-4427-BB3F-5C6526A75FA3.jpeg
    54595D88-4417-4427-BB3F-5C6526A75FA3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • 3B07199C-05F9-4216-8B33-F37BDBCB5F16.jpeg
    3B07199C-05F9-4216-8B33-F37BDBCB5F16.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
I can't tell from the pictures, is the pad separating or is it part of the actual stock?

Downside of kimber is they have probably one of the tightest hands on the repair side of things.

Looking for recommendations on preferably a gunsmith to replace a butt pad on a Kimber subalpine stock. Kimber offered to replace the stock however because I had the action and barrel cerakoted they would only put the new stock on if I paid to have them refinish the gun back to its original coating. I would potentially be open to sending it somewhere to have a custom stock made but ideally would just get my current stock fixed.
Contact https://mpicustomstocks.com/

1675993629086.png

Kimber won't fix their defective rifle stock recoil pad because you cerakoted the barreled action?

Wow.....

Another option would be to give LRI a call. They may be able to inlet a flat top manners, McMillan, AG composites etc. to fit your needs. They do solid work from my experience.

I can't tell from the pictures, is the pad separating or is it part of the actual stock?

Downside of kimber is they have probably one of the tightest hands on the repair side of things.
The pad is fixed to a plastic spacer and the whole piece is then glued onto the stock. It appears they then pint over that seam

I'm a for the little kimbe stock made by mpi. But this looks like a small tear in a pad and it separating from the stock. It looks exasterbated by the fact the hydro dip had some spill over on the recoil pad.

I'm betting the top screw is stripped as it doesn't have much to bite into in those stocks.

A refit of a recoil pad is fairly simple, just mask it off as best as you can or you will be re doing hydro dip. To replace the stripped out section I'd drill out that section of core and epoxy in a new segment with something like some coosa. I could probably cut a couple plugs my next week and pop them in an envelope. I'm trying to think of someone still living who has a decent sander on island who could grind a new pad.... all the old geezers that had a shop with that kind of equipment have kicked the bucket.