how to fix stock

stxhunter

jeffsdoe300wnmpics007.jpg
jeffsdoe300wnmpics006.jpg
jeffsdoe300wnmpics008.jpg
i was coming out of our trailer at the ranch this morning and sliped on the metal step (it had been drizellin all weekend ) took a pretty nasty tumble down the steps i went one way and my rifle the other. what i need to know is what would be the best way to fix the scratches and a gouge on the stock and one on the eye piece of my scope. this ruined my day and i came home early at least i didnt break any bones just a few bruises any advise would be apreitated

stx, If you've had a chance to check the scope for zero and tracking and it's OK, you can get touch-up pens from Brownells. If you have any doubts(I probably would) I'd send it back to the manufacturer (Leupold ?) and let them check it out and change the eyepiece bell.

On the stock, since it looks like the rifle is a working gun, you can sand and fill the gouge and scratches with good bedding compound and repaint the stock with wrinkle paint, or whatever you like. I use spray bedliner.

Another option, if the scope and rifle are OK, is to chalk it up to the hazards of the hunt and let it go. No matter how careful I am, my hunting guns get skinned and scratched up. I have learned, however, how not to get blood on them. That's progress for me.

Good luck, Tom

thanks tom glenn marten in sandia built this rifle for me only had it back about 3 months its a shooter shot a three shoot 1 1/4 inch group at 500yd its a ruger m77 300wm with a hart 26 in barrel mcmillian stock. i am worried about the scope it was off 4 inchs high. when i dialed in the correction the elevation was okay but 6 ins to the left. i'll shoot it at the range later to check it better only fired 3 shoots did'nt want to ruin the hunting for the nieghbors trying to check it . the scopes a leupold 4.5-14 50mm tactical so if its ruined i'll send it back for repair. would bondo work on the gouges in the stock the scratchs i'll just repaint

stx; sounds like a plan. Bondo would probably be fine, it's a lot stiffer and easier to handle. I don't know for sure, but the bedding compound might stick tighter.

On the scope: I had a scope once that would move the reticle when I rotated the eypiece bell to focus it. It didn't tilt the reticle, it moved the whole reticle in a tiny circle. The ocular lense was cocked in the bell, but you couldn't see it. That scope nearly drove me crazy until I watched the reticle while rotating the eyepiece! I think a hard lick might be able to cause that, too. Try loosening the lock ring and rotating the eyepiece while watching the reticle. If the reticle moves, no question the scope will have to be repaired. BTW, I just guessed it was a Leupold, it looked familiar. My best scopes are Leupolds.

Mr. Martin obviously knows how to build a rifle and you just might be able to shoot one. That's some fine accuracy.

Good hunting, Tom

Bondo will work but over time it will shrink and you will have trouble their again. I would use some Acra-glass gell , it doesn't shrink and it sticks better than bondo does.
Their is also a product called Hysol its a two part epoxy thats realy strong and sets up realy hard , it doesen't shrink and is made for bonding so it will stay put.

tom that one group that was 1 1/4 inch i was in the zone that day but i can usaully keep them from about 2 1/2 to 4 inchs at that distance if theres no wind to speak of. glenn does excellent work builds a lot of comp guns for peaple down here mainly semi auto pistols and he also builds a mean rifle. thanks for the help tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.