Kimber Rifles - Stay away!

Stk

Buyer beware! Kimber only has a one-year warranty on their guns, and they mean it. I wish I had known that six months ago.

I found out I was being stationed in Colorado this past summer so started looking around for a good elk rifle that the wife could also use and would also work well as a long range, lightweight antelope/deer rifle. I thought I found "the rifle" when I found a used Kimber 84M classic for sale locally in .270 WSM. It was very lightweight, handled well, had a great piece of wood on it, low round count, and came with the much vaunted one-MOA guarantee! I bought it (and paid a fair but very Kimber-like price for it). First trip to the range with a couple different types of ammo, and it wouldn't cycle out of the magazine without a failure to feed and wouldn't group 3 shots under 3.5 inches at 100 yards. Took it to the range a second time with a third type of ammo and got the same thing. Tried one more time since the season was getting close and I knew if I sent it off I wouldn't get it back in time to hunt with it, but same result. I finally sent it off to Kimber in October. They confirmed receipt and then I heard nothing for over two months. I finally emailed them for an update and got a phone call a day or two later. According to the customer service rep, my rifle was built "out-of-spec" and that's why it was having all of its issues. To my surprise, he said they were willing to allow me to purchase a new rifle at a discounted price. This is hardly the response I would've expected when they admit the rifle was built so defectively it was unusable. I was told that since the rifle was "out of warranty" that was the best they were able to do, and anyways, they don't make the "classic" model anymore. The closest thing they make now is the "classic select grade." I can have one of those, or another rifle of similar value, if I want it…and if I pay Kimber another $525. Apparently I bought an expensive coupon.

I'll probably give them the money and sell the brand new rifle to someone who's willing to take the risk on a Kimber. I'll make sure to tell the buyer to shoot the rifle quickly, and if something's wrong with it, to make sure he sends it back to Kimber right away, because sometimes they're built defectively, and if he doesn't catch it quickly enough he'll have to buy a new one.

Remington, Winchester, Ruger, FN, and any number of other firearms companies would have replaced the rifle at no cost as soon as they discovered it was a manufacturing defect. Never again!

Stk, too bad about your situation with Kimber. I don't own any, but friends who do say the Ruger Warranty Customer Service has been very prompt and accommodating. These days many reputable manufacturers of all types of goods are cutting back on warranties and customer service. As out President Trump says, sad, so sad. Good luck with a well researched choice to replace the Kimber and thanks for the info.

That sucks !!! Glad you shared your experience I wish more people on this site would do the same when they have problems with manufactures.
When buying your next rifle be sure to stay away from Sako!! I have a similar story They do NOT stand behind their product even when they admit it is faulty!

Buyer beware! Kimber only has a one-year warranty on their guns, and they mean it. I wish I had known that six months ago.

I found out I was being stationed in Colorado this past summer so started looking around for a good elk rifle that the wife could also use and would also work well as a long range, lightweight antelope/deer rifle. I thought I found "the rifle" when I found a used Kimber 84M classic for sale locally in .270 WSM. It was very lightweight, handled well, had a great piece of wood on it, low round count, and came with the much vaunted one-MOA guarantee! I bought it (and paid a fair but very Kimber-like price for it). First trip to the range with a couple different types of ammo, and it wouldn't cycle out of the magazine without a failure to feed and wouldn't group 3 shots under 3.5 inches at 100 yards. Took it to the range a second time with a third type of ammo and got the same thing. Tried one more time since the season was getting close and I knew if I sent it off I wouldn't get it back in time to hunt with it, but same result. I finally sent it off to Kimber in October. They confirmed receipt and then I heard nothing for over two months. I finally emailed them for an update and got a phone call a day or two later. According to the customer service rep, my rifle was built "out-of-spec" and that's why it was having all of its issues. To my surprise, he said they were willing to allow me to purchase a new rifle at a discounted price. This is hardly the response I would've expected when they admit the rifle was built so defectively it was unusable. I was told that since the rifle was "out of warranty" that was the best they were able to do, and anyways, they don't make the "classic" model anymore. The closest thing they make now is the "classic select grade." I can have one of those, or another rifle of similar value, if I want it…and if I pay Kimber another $525. Apparently I bought an expensive coupon.

I'll probably give them the money and sell the brand new rifle to someone who's willing to take the risk on a Kimber. I'll make sure to tell the buyer to shoot the rifle quickly, and if something's wrong with it, to make sure he sends it back to Kimber right away, because sometimes they're built defectively, and if he doesn't catch it quickly enough he'll have to buy a new one.

Remington, Winchester, Ruger, FN, and any number of other firearms companies would have replaced the rifle at no cost as soon as they discovered it was a manufacturing defect. Never again!
Another company cutting it's own throat.

Before giving up on them I'd go as high up the chain of command as possible to get it resolved as it should be.

If they aren't willing to make it right by replacing it let everyone know how crappy you were treated.

Unfortuately sometimes very popular companies try living off of a reputation earned decades ago rather than continuing the practices that made them successful to begin with.

Good luck.

Stk, too bad about your situation with Kimber. I don't own any, but friends who do say the Ruger Warranty Customer Service has been very prompt and accommodating. These days many reputable manufacturers of all types of goods are cutting back on warranties and customer service. As out President Trump says, sad, so sad. Good luck with a well researched choice to replace the Kimber and thanks for the info.
I agree with Ruger service. I have actually had to send in one pistol and one rifle. which does not say a lot about quality (both were purchased new and had a severe malfunction and the other had severe accuracy issues)...that being said, Ruger paid to have them shipped to their factory at no charge to me, replaced the one which had a major malfunction and had it back in my hands in a week and the other one they sent to their gunsmiths who worked on it and made it a 1MOA rifle I do not know what they did but it shoots wonderfully now. All I can say about Ruger is they might not sell the best quality but their customer service and warranty are GREAT in my book.

I did not know that about Kimber and after reading this will not be purchasing ANY Kimbers. I would assume this applies to their 1911s as well which is a shame as I was just eyeballing one at the shop. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and I hope you end up making out!

STK
From you post, it sounds like you are in the military, or there was some other timing issue involved that used part of the warranty time to verify the operation of the rifle. If this was the case perhaps Kimber would take this into consideration. I would try contacting someone at a managerial level. Many service/support departments are evaluated and compensated on warranty cost as opposed to customer satisfaction. These companies are surely misguided! Contrary to what most companies claim, "warranty policy" is established by management and that same management can make exceptions, particularly when it is confirmed that the problem is a workmanship issue. You story, as it stands, would be a show stopper for most people considering ANY Kimber product.

A real company:

I bought a Ruger LH Alaskan rifle NIB even though they were out of production. I shot it for a full season before noticing rust/stain developing on the inside of the SS receiver. My gunsmith swore that the receiver was not SS, as specified by Ruger.

I called Ruger's customer service who asked me to ship the rifle back. They received the rifle and acknowledged that whatever the problem was that it was irreparable. They offered me a NIB comparable rifle. I only wanted another LH SS rifle (375 Ruger) which they didn't offer. However, the customer rep told me that they would be producing the (then) new Guide Gun in left hand in a few months if I was willing to wait. There was additional cost associated with the Guide Gun.

Sure enough, a few months later, Ruger called me and asked for an FFL to ship the new rifle to. I asked how much additional money I owed them. They told me that in recognition of the inconvenience caused by the problem that there would be NO additional cost. In addition to that, they shipped me the original stock because it had a custom recoil pad installed on it !!

Now that's exceptional customer service.

(Sorry if I hijacked the thread)

That's a shame! I have to admit, I didn't know and failed to do my research when I took my wife to pick her CCW, Kimber Micro .380, frankly I don't think it matters for my wife anyways (don't ask). :):Dgun)

A real company:

I bought a Ruger LH Alaskan rifle NIB even though they were out of production. I shot it for a full season before noticing rust/stain developing on the inside of the SS receiver. My gunsmith swore that the receiver was not SS, as specified by Ruger.

I called Ruger's customer service who asked me to ship the rifle back. They received the rifle and acknowledged that whatever the problem was that it was irreparable. They offered me a NIB comparable rifle. I only wanted another LH SS rifle (375 Ruger) which they didn't offer. However, the customer rep told me that they would be producing the (then) new Guide Gun in left hand in a few months if I was willing to wait. There was additional cost associated with the Guide Gun.

Sure enough, a few months later, Ruger called me and asked for an FFL to ship the new rifle to. I asked how much additional money I owed them. They told me that in recognition of the inconvenience caused by the problem that there would be NO additional cost. In addition to that, they shipped me the original stock because it had a custom recoil pad installed on it !!

Now that's exceptional customer service.

(Sorry if I hijacked the thread)

I've heard nothing but good things about rugers customer service. Seems like a good option when this mess finally gets sorted out gun)

Who did you buy the USED rifle from?
Did you ask how it shot? Did you get verification on how it shot?
Did you get verification on age of rifle?

I would be knocking on the door of the original buyer/seller if he misrepresented the rifle's capability.

I have a few Kimber pistols. Never had a problem with any of them. But a warranty expires. The offer of a discount on a new rifle in exchange for the old one with you adding the price difference, since you are not the original buyer, seems pretty fair to me.

Or you might be able to take it to a gunsmith and have them true it up and spin a new barrel on for the same price? Not knowing what the problem is makes this an assumption.

The offer of a discount on a new rifle in exchange for the old one with you adding the price difference, since you are not the original buyer, seems pretty fair to me.

Fair compared to a poke in the eye... Or a kick to the groin.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.