Kimber rifle question please

Kooz7

Hi all,

I am considering a Kimber Adirondack in .308 . I found a shop that has a new one for $1140 , which seems to be substantially less than the normal price . I keep running across internet complaints about Kimber quality and accuracy problems. I have no experience with these guns and was hoping some of you who own one of these rifles or have experience with them could share your experiences . Thanks

kooz

I had a kimber 8400 classic. Sent it back to kimber and they rebarrelled it due to accuracy issues. I had good luck with their customer service. The gun I got back was accurate for two shots then you had to let the barrel cool. If you didn't your group size went from two shots almost touching to about two inches. Got tired of two hour shooting sessions with the gun and sold it.

I own three Kimbers. A 84 in 243 with a brux 26" barrel and a 8400 in 300 win mag also with a 26" #4 Brux barrel. Both guns shoot very well. The reason for the barrels is I wanted to use these rifles more for all around shooting. They both are 1/2 MOA rifles as far out as I've been able to shoot which is 700Yards. The barrels that come with them are really thin or small and I believe barrel whip and heat are the two real problems for their accuracy issues. The third rifle I've left alone. It's a 270WSM and shoots 3/4 groups well if I pay attention to the barrel heat. Real nice to carry in the field. I horse hunt and pack a lot and carry rifles in scabbards so weight is important. Kimber designed these guns for light in the field use. Not for long range accuracy.

Eight years ago, I bought a Kimber 84 in ,308, nice light gun, beautiful wood. It has been back to the factory 3 times. First, one pillar was not straight - they replaced the stock (again nice wood)' Later, my gunsmith found a burr in the barrel near the muzzle; they replaced the barrel. Just before deer season, I took it to the range, loaded several shells in the magazine. Fired one shot, the magazine lid opened and all shells fell out. I still have it, and it functions well now but is not terribly accurate, and patches still come out dark blue. I would not buy another Kimber.

I acquired an 8400 in 270WSM about 10 years ago. It shot well with .5 MOA three shot groups with hand loads and a couple of brands of factory ammo. The stock and metal work was nicely finished. Not a bad rifle, but I thought the Kimber "pre-64' styled action was sloppy and could bind up on fast cycling on mine as well as others I handled compared to past and present CRF Winchesters. I eventually sold it.

thanks for the replies . I am looking for a compact gun and was considering the Kimber. My backup plan is to look for either a Ruger compact Mark II in .308 or a Winchester compact featherweight, get a proper bedding job and hope for the best .

My hunting partner has been using a kimber mtn ascent 300 WSM lately . It'll put the 1st 2 shots right to point of aim every time, after that , all bets are off . If you want a light , compact rifle for "normal" average range hunting, I think it's a good choice. If you want to shoot long range or want tiny 3 or 5 shot groups, I would look at something else .

I bought a 8400 Kimber Montana 300 WSM when they first came on the scene. Late 1904 or early 05. This rifle only likes 180 Gr. Bullets. Shoots less than 1 inch at 100 yds.
With a 2X8 Leopold scope, nylon sling and 4 shells weighs 7 1/4 lb.

If the action is built like the 8400 it has a action it has about all.

Mauser extractor and controlled feed
Sako style adjustable firing pin.
Model 70 Win. 3 position safety.
The bolt, tear down is one of the best. With the bolt in the rifle, firing pin cocked. Place safety in middle position, Remove the bolt from rifle. Just twist to over ride the pop it ball bolt index, Unscrew the firing pin. Clean and Lubricate. Screw it back till the pop it ball is indexed proper and the bolt is ready to install back in the rifle.

I have decided against the Kimber, going to look at some other options. Will look at a Savage while out handling rifles . Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.