kimber/ Remington/Winchester

angv350

Hi folks, looking to buy two new bolt action rifles in 308 and 300win... Which of these three models are best built most reliable? Looking at the Kimber classic,remington700 and winchestefmodel 70. Ant feedback greatly appreciated!

Winchester and Remington have more aftermarket than Kimber. I've not heard too many positive things about Kimber's. So my choice would be Winchester and Remington in that order. Have you looked into Savage. T/C has that new rifle that you could change your bolt, and barrels in a few minutes on one rifle. It's ugly, but might fit your requirements and needs. You could do a barrel swap on a Savage, but it's not as quick as the T/C.

Tank

Id go with the Rem action. Not that its vastly superior to the other two...but easier to find items for...or to match.

You dont need both of those....the 300 will do both jobs. Hand load it down to 308 velocities because every shot doesnt have to be "full bore".

Id go with the Rem action. Not that its vastly superior to the other two...but easier to find items for...or to match.

You dont need both of those....the 300 will do both jobs. Hand load it down to 308 velocities because every shot doesnt have to be "full bore".

+1, forgot about that. The 300WM would be versatile either direction with high power loads or minimum loads. How about a 300WSM? Just a thought.

My Kimber M84 won't feed lead tipped bullets without jamming.
My Rem barrel fouls so bad after one shot it needs JB's to scrub it out.
flip a coin and take your chances or pick a different brand. I'll never buy Kimber or Rem again.

I can't comment on Kimber, but I've never had any issues with my remingtons and winchesters. With Remington there are tons of aftermarket parts and gunsmiths are familiar with them. Not to cause any issues but with savage you have an easy time getting parts also. I just had a conversation with Randy Wakeman last week, when I was looking for a particular item, and he will say that the only good winchesters are a pre 64 model. I know winchester makes them again. I probably haven't helped you at all. Sometimes the easiest way to choose a gun is to hold them in your hands.

I personally recommend the Remington 700 action, they make very high quality firearms and the M700 action has been proven time and time again since it was made, and has been used heavily and extensively for 50 years now by hunters, long range shooters, military, L.E., and many other shooters world wide.

I would recommend getting the Remington 700 SPS Tactical or SPS Varmint in .308, but I don't know about the .300 WIN MAG. If you don't mind having two of the same firearms in different calibers then I would recommend a Remington 700P for the .300 WIN MAG.

As far as either SPS Tactical or SPS Varmint, it's really a personal decision on which you would prefer. The SPS Tactical has a 20" barrel and a hogue over mold stock, where as the SPS Varmint has a 26" barrel and a synthetic stock. Also, the SPS Tactical only has one sling swivel stud in the front while the SPS Varmint has two. That gives a bit of an advantage to the SPS Varmint in my opinion since you can have both a sling and a bipod on it at the same time, and when hunting that is a big advantage to me personally. However, if you have the money to spend, I do recommend the SPS Tactical over the Varmint if you have the money to purchase a new stock, such as a HS Precision, or a Bell and Carlson. Also, just as a bit of a heads up, the SPS Varmint is absolutely not free floated, and the SPS Tactical is called free floated, however if you rest the fore end of the stock on a sand bag, bipod, or a fallen tree while hunting, then the stock will bend and touch the barrel since it is rather flexible. And since the SPS Varmint's stock is not free floated, I also recommend switching it out. Anyways, I hope some of this will be useful for you with your purchases. Sincerely- Ace762.

The .308 will also likely do both jobs and seems to be very popular. Are you familiar with Lapua .308 Palma, if superior accuracy is one of your goals?

I have three remingtons, and all shoot very well with factory barrels. That being said I actually like the Winchester M70 better as far as handleing and feeding goes, though the ones Ive shot havent shot as good as my remingtons (they also werent handloaded by me, so I dont know how much work went into ammo).
I really feel its a toss up between them and you need to throw Savage in the mix. I dont own a Savage and probably never will, but they are good rifles for a good price, I just dont like the fit or feel of the action and accutrigger.

I would just buy one rifle. by the time you out shoot the barrel on either you'll want something else. I would go with the 300WSM but that is stricktly personal prefrence, either will work just fine.

A pre-64 or new Winchester Model 70 with controlled round feed would be my first pick of those 3 for a flat out reliable hunting rifle.

Remington 700 and Kimber are also very acceptable.

Rem 700 has the most choices for aftermarket gizmos.

Win 70 has way plenty of choices for aftermarket upgrades.

Kimber may be difficult to find parts for if you wish to customize it.

Hold them. Shoulder them. Pick the one that feels right to you.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts