Kimber Montana 6.5x55?

Elkwonder

I would love to have a Kimber montana chambered in 6.5x55.
I have a 280AI montana located at a VERY GOOD price, but the owner says the barrel is shot out. I was thinking about snagging it and getting it rebarreled to 6.5x55. Wouldn't the 280AI platform be about perfect for the 6.5x55? I think I would even gain a little length to seat my bullets out farther in the 55. Does anyone have any opinion on this? I think the diameter should be fine so feeding shouldn't be an issue????? Thanks for any info

I rebarreled a 270 to 6.5x55. Winchester brass works as is. Lapua and Norma I chuck in my cordless drill and spin a few seconds on a file. They work fine.

6.5x55 (6.5 swede) lapua brass measures .480 at the rim. .280 ai (7mmx64.5mm, converted to metric) is based off a 30-06, which is .473 at the rim. Some open up the bolt to make it work, some use the normal bolt and say they have to pull rounds out of the receiver. Either way, going from .473, which it is now, to .480 can be done very easily by the smith changing the barrel. I will ask around tomorrow as I shoot with two guys that run 6.5 swede. I will update tomorrow afternoon on my findings.

Feeding will not be a problem, you will gain a little length over the original Mauser action, but I do not know anybody that runs the 6.5x55 on a short action anyway. Should have plenty of room to seat long with high bc bullets and take full advantage of the great case.

So the guy I talked to today shoots a 6.5x55 improved off a rem 700 long action. He said he had the bolt slotted and fit with a mini-m16 extractor to make it work. Said it would run with some brass, but the higher tier, lapua and such, would not slide into the normal rem extractor. thats all the info I was able to pry from him aside from the fact he really likes it and it will give similar velocities to a 6.5x284.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.