Kimber Barrel Swap Question

BigSky!

I have what I believe to be an easy question for those in the know. First, the question and then the explanation. I have a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts and wish to rebarrel it and want to know what calibers are options and what it would cost, approximately. I wish to rebarrel it in a different caliber. My intent is to buy a Kimber Montana takeoff barrel as I assume that would be the cheapest route. Yes, I know that it is possible I could be buying someone else's problem barrel. I intend to go that "cheapest route". If not, I would just sell it and buy another.

Knowing I have a short action, 84M, what calibers can I switch to with this setup, changing nothing else?

Approximately, what would it cost?

Is reboring an affordable option? If so, to what calibers?

Thanks in advance.

I don't necessarily need input from a gunsmith, just someone who has had experience doing the same thing. Input would be greatly appreciated.

No responses? Probably because it is not a worth while project. If you don't like the rifle, sell it, and buy what you do want.

The reason for the question was so I could determine if it is a worthwhile project. Buying the 308 takeoff barrel locally for $85 makes it worthwhile. If a gunsmith can change the barrel with no other concerns expressed in my question above for $200 or under, all of a sudden, it's worthwhile. The problem is, I don't know the costs. That's why I've asked here. The gunsmiths I've tried to contact here have not responded yet to my messages. Seeing all of the gunsmithing information on here and other forums and the hundreds of caliber change threads, I would think someone would be able to answer the questions so I could determine if it's worthwhile. Hell, to read half of the people on the forums I frequent you would think every hotshot out there has done either a rebore or a rebarrel of some sort. Very frustrating. I'm guessing the right person just hasn't checked this thread yet.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any Kimber action, have heard that they twist, but none of mine have suffered this. Yes, they are quite a bit lighter than a Win Model 70, but the difference isn't that great. I plan on re-barrelling mine when the need arises, accuracy is fantastic in all of my Kimbers.
Just do it, the value isn't going to change much.

Cheers.
gun)

Kimber will rebarrel it, call them for price. A 7mm-08 would be nice. The sticky part may be feeding from the magazine.

The reason for the question was so I could determine if it is a worthwhile project. Buying the 308 takeoff barrel locally for $85 makes it worthwhile. If a gunsmith can change the barrel with no other concerns expressed in my question above for $200 or under, all of a sudden, it's worthwhile. The problem is, I don't know the costs. That's why I've asked here. The gunsmiths I've tried to contact here have not responded yet to my messages. Seeing all of the gunsmithing information on here and other forums and the hundreds of caliber change threads, I would think someone would be able to answer the questions so I could determine if it's worthwhile. Hell, to read half of the people on the forums I frequent you would think every hotshot out there has done either a rebore or a rebarrel of some sort. Very frustrating. I'm guessing the right person just hasn't checked this thread yet.
Trading one factory barrel out for another is nothing more than "stepping over dollars to pick-up dimes". The barrel you PAY someone else to put on may be nothing more than a tent stake. The better route would be to save your money and by a premium blank, save some more money and have it properly fit by a competent 'smith'. You'll be much more satisfied with the results. But, continue on with your quest,, you'll find some wanna' be gunsmith to take your money so you can be "cool", too. By the way, $85 is too much for any take-off barrel.

BigSky,

Check this barrel out that just showed up in the classifieds! It's a 280AI and would fit your 257 Roberts bolt head. A 280AI is a nice step up from the 257 Roberts. Would take everything up to elk without the recoil of a 7mm Mag. Maybe find a local smith to do the work. Sure would be cheaper than going back to Kimber...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f42/kimber-montana-barrel-take-off-280ai-brand-new-162050/

Good luck.

Thanks. I have two 280 A.I. and one is a Kimber Montana. They may use the same bolt face; but, the 257 Roberts I have is a Kimber Montana which is a short action version of the 257. 280 A.I. wouldn't fit.

you'll find some wanna' be gunsmith to take your money so you can be "cool", too. By the way, $85 is too much for any take-off barrel.

I appreciate the info. I won't use what you call a "wanna' be" gunsmith. Why anybody would do that when there are so many real gunsmiths is beyond me. But, apparently people do it all the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.