Kimber Adirondack Stock crack

On the theory that they will not be able to re-use the cracked stock, I wonder if there is some way they could replace your stock but return the cracked one too? Then you could try a repair, and if its doesn't work, still have a working stock.

Hey guys, after huntin season I was giving the little mountain gun a deep clean and when I took the action and the barrel of the stock I noticed what looks like a crack coming from the rear action screw. I spoke with Kimber customer service and sent them pictures, they do not have any stocks available for replacement. Need some advice on repairing. Attached is a picture, is this just superficial from the dip? There is no play in the stock near the or around the crack.
It's in 6.5 CM by the way.
Thats what Baling wire and Duct Tape were designed for!😁
Sorry to see that and feel your aggravation.
Montana's are a nice light stock, but don't know if they come in camo. Have Kimber Cerakote in your Camo design.

Mine wasn't cracked near as bad but here's my fix, it's held up well.

I spoke with Jared this AM (very nice guy) he told me to send in the rifle and they will replace the stock, most likely with a Montana. But if an Adirondack is available he will use that. Fingers crossed.
I contacted Kimber for a friend about some specks on another rifle today and also asked about Adirondack stocks. They said that they do have replacement parts for the Adirondack, but. "However, we have had production demands and supply constraints which, unfortunately, may have impacted our ability to do some repair work in a timely manner and other options may have been suggested".
Hopefully they will have a Adirondack stock for your repair instead of a substitute.

I'm sorry OP! The exact same thing happened to my Kimber Montana back in 2018. (I just went and checked my emails, to verify date) I worked with a customer service rep named Montana and he was awesome. I had the opposite problem with Kimber though, they were all out of Montana stocks and because of that they upgraded me to a Mt. Ascent.

I'd recommend you ask for that as well, at least then it will have the nice goretex coating and be grippy like your Adirondack.

If you're not in a rush tell them you don't mind waiting and keep your case fresh in their mind, the squeaky wheel does get greased!

I will say even though it took a while, Kimber totally resolved the situation for me satisfactorily and I hope they do right for you as well.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hey guys, after huntin season I was giving the little mountain gun a deep clean and when I took the action and the barrel of the stock I noticed what looks like a crack coming from the rear action screw. I spoke with Kimber customer service and sent them pictures, they do not have any stocks available for replacement. Need some advice on repairing. Attached is a picture, is this just superficial from the dip? There is no play in the stock near the or around the crack.
It's in 6.5 CM by the way.
I have been making carbon stocks since 1970 and am pretty sure the construction of your cracked stock is due to being made in pieces. Many makers build the bottom in two pieces and leave the barrel channel and action open, then lay up the top to suit the inletting required. The early McMillans were made in this way but don't know their current construction. That's why I like making in one piece without joins.

Would suggest contacting the maker/seller for a replacement. Trying to repair is not going to work well as old cured resin does not bond satisfactory. Add this to solvent and oil from use and it's going to fail in the future.

Not a hard repair, it's separating at the seam I'm not sure how many piece the kimber stockmakers mold is, but guessing it's cracking down the line where the two halves come together. Betting dollars to donuts it was a lunch break bad prep kinda deal. A repair is going to require some grinding, bit of epoxy and a re dip.

I've been waiting to pickup a specific kimber for over a year now and have watched inventory pretty hawkish. It's been very few guns shipped with most being hunters (plastic stock mag fed) a little shot of mountain ascents and a few of the heavier open range line. My guess is for the last few years something has been up with the stock maker that makes the Adirondack and montana rifles. Guessing montana is all they have in inventory for repairs. If they had a steady stream of either we'd likely see Adirondack and montana rifles showing up on the market outside of used ones on gb.
They are no longer building the Montana's.

Definitely a flaw in production of that stock....being as liteweight as it is and not being able to withstand recoil from a 6.5cdm....wonder how the boys shooting 280ai are doing with ther liteweight stocks.....
I've got a Montana 280AI with about 500 rounds, so far no problem with cracks.

My only problem with the gun is the paint (green) wears off rather easily and Kimber doesn't have matching paint available to touch it up.

I'm getting ready to paint mine using duracoat and an airbrush. Dark FDE in a flat finish.
20220331_220541.jpg

but guessing it's cracking down the line where the two halves come together. Betting dollars to donuts it was a lunch break bad prep kinda deal.

I don't believe so.
When I blow up the picture- the crack emanates from the rear pillar, and then spreads in different directions.

This is a common source of stock failures, along with the receiver tang when the stock doesn't have some clearance from it.
Looks to me like there is too much clearance behind the recoil lug- which allowed the rear action screw to contact the pillar and drive it into the stock- cracking it.

I'm not familiar with the Adirondack- does it feature an integral aluminum bedding block?

I don't believe so.
When I blow up the picture- the crack emanates from the rear pillar, and then spreads in different directions.

This is a common source of stock failures, along with the receiver tang when the stock doesn't have some clearance from it.
Looks to me like there is too much clearance behind the recoil lug- which allowed the rear action screw to contact the pillar and drive it into the stock- cracking it.

I'm not familiar with the Adirondack- does it feature an integral aluminum bedding block?
Yep! that's the problem with aluminum bedding blocks in composites. How many times do I have to mention carbon blocks made at the same time as the stock are the go.
There's commercial stocks and better stocks, unfortunately the latter is more difficult to make and finish is done last. I mentioned driving my Falcon station wagon rear wheel over my 1lb 2 oz stock supported between two bricks and it's good enough to fit a barreled action to it.

I previously mentioned repairing a cured piece of resin not being really successful if relying on adhesion. Have repaired a couple of McMillans by making a mechanical carbon joint as well as relying on adhesion. I make carbon rivets that go through the stock and the new repaired carbon piece to stop them pulling apart.

All one piece