Kimber 84 montana question

COBrad

After reading the new light weight LR hunting rifle project thread, my interest was rekindled. I have looked at New Ultra Light Arms, and Mr. Forbes tells me his rifles will shoot sub .25 MOA in a sub-5# rifle. Wow! I'm impressed, but I don't want to spend 2700 for a rifle I expect to shoot mostly at 300yds or less. Enter Kimber. With help from M. Forbes they have a sub 5# rifle that sells for around 1K. I spoke with Kimber and was told that .5 MOA was realistic with handloads. Now I am seeing a scoped rifle at 5.5# capable of taking above timberline 'hogs to 500yds. Can this be real from a rifle this light? Any one have any experiences to share on Kimber light weight rifles? Thanks.

I have a friend with the 84 Classic which weighs about half a pound more than the Montana (wood stock, hinged floor plate). His is a .308 and will shoot right at with .5 MOA with a couple of different loads. Don't let it get too hot since barrell is pretty light, but overall accuracy is remarkable. Lots of nice work and features in a factory rifle.

I have yet to see the Montana version, but due out soon. The 8400 I've handled and shot have been sub-min rifles, even with factory ammo. Kimber has always been great, now with help from Forbes, they may have become super. Where else can you get a M70 safety, custom stock & barrel for around $800.00 on the real market??

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.