Kestrel question.- Correct altitude ?

I don't know why But I was under the impression that I could use the station pressure (kestrel with 0' as the BP reference altitude) without the altitude and leave "calculate standard pressure unchecked. Are you saying this is not correct?
You're right, what you're saying is corret! I was confusing between
I wasn't understanding right, I needed to switch my brain between Exbal and the Kestrel.
If this is not correct than should I use a GPS for ALt and actual station pressure from the kestrel and allow exbal to correct the pressure for altitude?

Or should I use a GPS for ALt and actual station pressure from the kestrel and leave "calculate standard pressure" unchecked?

You only use the GPS to enter the Elevation in Exbal.
I'm sorry man I'm just a bit lost.
It could be me or both... Who knows... :D :)
The documentation that comes with the program is lacking a little and all my other ?s were answered by searching here. This one seems to have been an issue for a lot of people based on the search results. I am trying to ask the questions so a response of yes or no can be used so there is no Grey area for me to find in the responses.

Sorry friend, I was typing when you posted.

I think you got it right!!!

On the weather instrument I use (Brunton), I set it on zero for BP to be Station BP which is what I need. When I go to the Elevation Screen, still talking about the Brunton, and read my on spot Elevation off of that screen IF AND ONLY IF I have done a recent altitude adjustment at a place with known elevation or using the GPS, and knowing that the weather is not changing fast. Other wise I obtain the elevation for Exbal from my GPS.
I hope that made sence.

Last edited:
Sorry friend, I was typing when you posted.

I think you got it right!!!

On the weather instrument I use (Brunton), I set it on zero for BP to be Station BP which is what I need. When I go to the Elevation Screen, still talking about the Brunton, and read my on spot Elevation off of that screen IF AND ONLY IF I have done a recent altitude adjustment at a place with known elevation or using the GPS, and knowing that the weather is not changing fast. Other wise I obtain the elevation for Exbal from my GPS.
I hope that made sence.

Thanks Eaglet! It may have finally sunk in( need to read again when I'm awake). Now all I need is a windless few hours to collect some data and confuse myself again!:D

I'm dense my friend don't give up on me. Which method is correct #1 or #2? note my definition of "station pressure".

1.No matter what I always enter elevation and station pressure in Exbal, right?
If, I use it this way I want to leave "calculate standard pressure" unchecked.

2.Or (If I'm using station pressure) I can enter station pressure into Exbal and not enter the altitude and leave "calculate standard pressure" unchecked.

Station pressure- when using a Kestrel you enter 0 as your reference altitude on the BP screen so you get the actual (not corrected for altitude) pressure at your location.

14n31k.jpg

If you don't have a weather instrument, let's say you ignore the station BP, you can enter the Altitude, check the box "Calculate Standard Pressure" and the application will calculate the standar pressure for the given elevation; now you're in business.

The most accurate way I have seen exbal work is used as previously explained, many moons ago.

Good Luck!

Clear as mud (I think) now.

If I save sight in conditions I will use #1.

If I am not using saved sight in conditions I will use #2

I don't think there's any Grey area left. This thread should be a sticky.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.