Kemetrek Boots

fredjake1

Wondering if anyone has used them and opinions on them. Thinking about getting a pair and looking for some reviews. Thanks.

fredjake1,
I can tell you that ALOT of folks are using them and all of my friends in my hunting circle are in them. On a personal note, i went on a dall sheep hunt last year in the Brooks range---my two brothers were in Kennetreks and i made the mistake of taking Danners. Absolutely no comparison. Danners are garbage compared to the Kennetreks. Both in durability and waterproofness.
I would highly recommend them.

Randy

Only thing about the Kenetreks I've noticed is that they have a full nylon shank and are very stiff. To back this up, they are set up to accept mountaineering crampons. Two + decades of technical mountaineering has taught me a bit about boots. Walking around in Kenetreks would be about like walking around in my stiff plastic mountaineering boots--that's not much fun for trail or x-country work. On snow/ice w/ or w/o crampons, that stiffness in a boot is great, but not elsewhere. Several pairs of mountaineering boots of varying stiffness and design used in very varied terrain over the years has taught me that.

I'm curious what model of Danner the other poster was referencing. Danner has some mediocre boots made offshore and some really good boots made here in the US. You get what you pay for.

My pick for an all around big game boot is their GoreTex Raptor. I've had the same pair over 8 years (using the Danner waterproofing product exclusively, which is the best waterproofing product I've ever used and I've used a few). I've put many miles on these boots on trail and cross country, often very steep and treacherous, many times with packs in excess of 100 lbs. packing out several elk, deer and bear all killed in designated wilderness. Over that time period, from summer to winter, 70F to 0F, they've been very comfortable.

Now, that being said if you are on a sheep hunt in AK where it is very steep pretty mcuh all the time, you may want a boot that is stiffer, to a point, than the Raptor. Perhaps a well broken in Kenetrek would be the way to go for this particular hunt, that is, if they do break in and become a little less stiff.

There is no perfect boot for everything. Each design is a compromise.

But, AK has a way of destroying boots. A pair of work boots I bought for wildland firefighting that did OK down here, were in sad shape (and so were my feet) after a week in the tundra north of the artic circle fighting a fire we jumped up there in '91 when I was a smokejumper. Got back to the continental US and picked up a pair of White's Smokejumpers and never looked back--my wallet was empty, but my feet happy. Don't buy junk boots if you're actually going to use them. If you road hunt, well...no big deal what you buy, but if you're packing stuff out of designated wilderness areas on your own, usually solo, like I am, get the right boot or boots for the job. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well I have been a die hard Danner fan but my last pair I bought (USA made ones) a pair of Canadians. They fit great and are comfortable but after only a year of limited use they started to creak. THis also includes my work danners, all USA made ones. It bugs me so bad that I've been thinking about buying a pair of Kenetreks.

Corey

I have a pair of their light weight hikers. Awesome boots. I would not hesitate to buy a taller pair for Alaska. The fit is great and very supportive in the steep country I hunt. I had two pairs of Irish Setter Elk trackers that I really liked but they were really heavy so I tried the Kennetrek.
When I need a taller pair of boots I will definitely go with Kennetrek.

You simply cannot go wrong with Kenetreks. I wore Danners for years and had to buy a new pair every year or have mine re-soled. I am very hard on boots but have been wearing my mountain extremes for three years now and they are still in great shape. I have wore them all over from grizzly hunting in BC to Antelope hunting in Wyoming and they have proved a perfect fit everywhere I have been.

I wore danners for over 20 years and still do sometimes, but they are not the boot they use to be, atleast imo.
Now I mostly wear Kennetrek Mtn Ext. and love this boot. They are stiff which I like since I have bad ankles.

I have a pare of them They are okay. But I like my La Sportivas a lot better. But they are a Very good boot but every budies foot are differant so just because some one likes them does not mean they are the best for you. I would look at lowas kenetreks and La sportivas.

These are without question the best boots I have ever worn. I have used my Extremes for 2 years now. Been to Alaska bear hunting. Went to the Wyoming backcountry deer and elk huning and Utah deer and elk hunting. They came through with flying colors in every situation I came across. From Riding horse back for 6 hours to hiking with a 50lbs pack up 30 degree slopes for hours to sitting around camp. Rain, snow,mud and river crossings the whole 9 yards they came through every time. I liked the Extremes so much I bought a pair of the cowboy pac boots. So far they have proven to be everything I had hoped for.

I tried on a pair of their Mountain Extreme boots at the NRA convention a couple of years ago. It was slipping my feet into pillows. I was sold. I bought a pair and never looked back. Since then I have tried a couple other boots. I have come to the conclusion that buying boots is like buying good glass - you get what you pay for. The high end boots are just that. Schnee, Lowa, Meindl, etc. are all quality with subtle differences. Some feet just feel better in certain makes. If you run a "Kenetrek" search on LRH, you should find a similar thread. In it, I posted a reply with a link or reference to an article that reviewed all the top end boots. It was unbiased and a practical guide.

My buddy has the same size foot as me. He has the Kennetreks Mt Extreme 400. I have the Cabela's Alaskan Miendls (400). Both are great boots, we both use custom insoles. I'd try both and and see what fit your foot best. Nice thing is the Miendls are a little cheaper... : ) I have just over 2.5 yrs on my Miendls, with a solid 30 days use in the field. Still 100% waterproof, bit beat up, but purely cosmetic...

I have tried the Mountaineering boots from LaSportiva and Scarpa. Great boots, but I REALLY like the 400grams of insulation. If you have warm feet then they are a great option... Just my take...

Quite simply the best boot I have ever worn. I use my boots pretty hard. I used to bring two or three pairs of boots on a two week hunting trip so that I could alternate in order to keep my feet from feeling broken down. I now can make that same trip with just the Kenetrek.

I have had trouble with them leaking. I sent back my first pair, and they replaced them no questions. I just sent that pair back last week, we will see how that goes. Hopefully they stand by them. Like I said, I use them hard, and feel a little funny about sending them back. But, my Irish Setters went 8 yrs of hard use with out leaking. Four different pairs of mountaineering/backpacking boots completely worn out with out leaking. An my kid's cheap hunting boots that don't leak no matter what they do to them. Needless to say, I will be disappointed if they do not replace them when they cost double the money of any other boot I have bought. When I can break others down physically and they still do not leak. I expect them to do as well as less expensive boots for waterproofness.

I will come back to this thread when I find out the results.

Steve

Like a few of the other posters, I like my Danners best. I have a pair of Lowa Sheep Hunters and Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. The Lowa's and Kenetreks are the most comfortable for me, and certainly very high quality, but for backpacking I have found they both give me bad heel blisters. My Danners tend to make my the balls of my feet ache after packing for a week or more, but it isn't nearly as bad as the bloody blisters I get from the other two. I have treid several different foot beds and had a cobbler work them over, but after three years both still blister me.

Someone mentioned squeaky boots. All three of my boots squeak to some degree. I stay away from oils as they can ruin the Gore Tex to treat squeaks and use parafin instead. I have to recoat the tongue and contact areas every few hunting days, but it works well for me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts