Kelbly’s failure to eject

Dmagna

I have an Atlas, it has been having a failure to eject problem lately. No parts are damaged, but it seems that when I open the bolt it drops the case before ejection. Anyone have a problem like this?

Rick Richard

I have an Atlas, it has been having a failure to eject problem lately. No parts are damaged, but it seems that when I open the bolt it drops the case before ejection. Anyone have a problem like this?
Have you taken it to a gunsmith to look at the problem or contacted Kelbly? Might be something simple. Good luck.

Dmagna

Have you taken it to a gunsmith to look at the problem or contacted Kelbly? Might be something simple. Good luck.
I havnt yet, I believe it’s something to do with the way the extractor works. It seems like it doesn’t snap back into the right spot after it clips on the brass. Maybe I will try cleaning it again and use a different oil

dok7mm

It's most likely how fast or slow you work the bolt rearward. It takes a while to get the hang of it.

dok7mm

It’s losing the case on the pull before the ejector can eject the case
Most people I know that are using the Atlas and other mechanical ejectors are pulling the bolt back pretty hard. A slow pull on mine drops the case on the follower (BDL), but shooting off bench, that's what I want.

If you are using AI mags, check to see if feed lip edge is not interfering. The only other thought is check out face of extractor and the spring.

Kelblys is who I would ask.

lancetkenyon

Kelbly are mechanical ejection, not spring loaded.
Is the extractor not holding the rim of the case and dropping it in the action?
When I open the bolt slowly, it leaves the case in the action. When I grip it and rip it, it whips it out smoothly.

djfergus

Call Kelbly. They will be glad to talk you through it. I've called them and they've always been friendly and helpful.

73driver

I have the exact same issue with a different make of rifle. I called the company and got the parts to replace the extractor and spring and a new ejector plunger spring. After replacing the parts I tested it with fired empties and it looks like the extractor is still dropping the case before ejection. The design uses the Savage style extractor and it is looking like the recessed bolt face is to wide and lets the case slide from under the extractor lip. Will shoot it and see and of to the company if it still fails.

Big Guy

That’s why control feed are so nice

jarnold37

It's most likely how fast or slow you work the bolt rearward. It takes a while to get the hang of it.
That sounds like car dealerships when you take your car back with a major problem and they say "oh, your car is supposed to use oil" or that engine noise is normal when cold, or your transmission will jerk and shudder until it gets used to your driving style. I would bet that Kelbly's would not say that it takes a special way to open the bolt and extract a case that has to be learned by getting used to.

Ron Milby

LRH Team Member
I have a Atlas actions and you have to keep the extractor mechanisms clean and oiled. I use Kroil oil. The mechanism has to be free in order to work properly.

I hope that helps.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce