Just traded a used box of matches for an old mauser with a match barrel in 6.5-06 AI

First, I'd make sure they're cleaned and ready to load. Then, I'd run them through the FL .270 Win sizing die. Then I'd run them through the 6.5-06 AI neck sizer die to set the false-shoulder and resize the neck. Then I'd trim to length, leaving an extra 0.020" on the trim length. Then load a book starting load for 6.5-06 and go fire-form your cases. Shoot about 5, let the rifle cool, shoot 5, let it cool, etc...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Are you having to do any neck turning? if so, to that outside dimension? tks again.

Bee

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Are you having to do any neck turning? if so, to that outside dimension? tks again.

Bee
I don't have a 6.5-06 AI, so I can't give you a neck dimension, but I use the same technique for forming brass for my .25-06 AI brass from .270 Win.

And no, none of my neck dimensions require neck-turning. Match chamber dimensions (body dimensions) with SAAMI spec necks, so no neck-turning required.

been a little under the weather for the past 5 weeks. Back in May I had a Spinal Cord Stimulator put in around the T-12 area. My body rejected the silicone in it my doc said. Had a really bad infection that required removal of the plastic paddle and then had to leave the wound open and have a wound vac on it. Today makes 4 weeks I've been out of the hospital and I have about 3 more weeks of wearing thin dan machine and 20ml of antibiotics every afternoon.

any way, have sized about 50 270's down to 6.5-06 and trimmed them all up and primed them. All drop in the barrel easily and no problem closing the bolt. So do I really need to push a bullet out the barrel at 3000 to properly form these new cases? Can I use a medium amount of 3031 or 4064 (I have too much) to form these cased. Maybe 30 grains of either?

thanks in advance,
Bee

I run re26 in my 6.5-06 as of late. i previously ran h1000. 56gr re26 gave me 3015fps average with an sd of 3. 140gr Berger hybrid, norma 30-06 brass, 56gr re26, br primers. just used this combo this past Saturday to shoot in a 600yd fclass match. shot 191, 189-3x, and 193-5x off a bipod and rear bag.

been a little under the weather for the past 5 weeks. Back in May I had a Spinal Cord Stimulator put in around the T-12 area. My body rejected the silicone in it my doc said. Had a really bad infection that required removal of the plastic paddle and then had to leave the wound open and have a wound vac on it. Today makes 4 weeks I've been out of the hospital and I have about 3 more weeks of wearing thin dan machine and 20ml of antibiotics every afternoon.

any way, have sized about 50 270's down to 6.5-06 and trimmed them all up and primed them. All drop in the barrel easily and no problem closing the bolt. So do I really need to push a bullet out the barrel at 3000 to properly form these new cases? Can I use a medium amount of 3031 or 4064 (I have too much) to form these cased. Maybe 30 grains of either?

thanks in advance,
Bee
No. I DO NOT recommend using anything but a book starting load for fire-forming. Some folks run hot loads for fire-forming, but then you run the risk of splitting necks and causing other case forming issues.

With my .25-06 AI, I fire-form using about 45 grains of RL-19 with a cheap Hornady 117 Interlock seated into the lands with some slight pressure when I close the bolt, so I know it's seated firmly against the bolt face.

I have a 6.5-06AI that I have shot for years. I've never tried RL26 in it. My pet load that the rifle loves is 59 grains of Retumbo behind a 140 Berger. Looking through my old notes I have shot the 130's using either Ramshot Magnum at 61.5 or H1000 at 63. Some of these are a little warm so start a little lower.

Yup, very good trade.And here's to a complete recovery!

I got a free scope one time for a "trade" in some machine parts...... they litteraly were in the scrap/recycle bin. A bud wouldn't take them for free,and have better things to do than argue so I capitulated.1-4X20 Luepold,VXI

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts