Just traded a used box of matches for an old mauser with a match barrel in 6.5-06 AI

Use 25-06 cases necked up and you probable will not have to turn cases and fool with doughnuts, at least my buddy did not have to. He shot a lot of 120s with H4831. For a GREAT 130 gr bullet the Nosler Accubond is it. I use it in my 27 3/4" 9 twist #5 Shilen CM barrel 264 Win mag and even pushing it 3350 fps even at 25 yards it will hold together through both shoulders of a deer with an exit of about quarter size. It does the same thing at a touch over 500 yards. It likes to jump 20 thousands in my rifle.

I would strongly recommend using .270 Win cases, necking them down to 6.5mm, then trimming them 0.020" longer than specified length, because as the case forms into an Ackley chamber it will be scavenging for brass somewhere, and that somewhere is always the neck. If you don't trim it long, your cases will be short. And if you use .25-06 brass (which will already be short), your necks will end up being REALLY short.

A "used" box of matches no less. I'm think'in that's in line with what we got Manhattan for. That's the sort'a deal that makes you afraid of getting hit by a bolt of lightening.

I would strongly recommend using .270 Win cases, necking them down to 6.5mm, then trimming them 0.020" longer than specified length, because as the case forms into an Ackley chamber it will be scavenging for brass somewhere, and that somewhere is always the neck. If you don't trim it long, your cases will be short. And if you use .25-06 brass (which will already be short), your necks will end up being REALLY short.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I'm going to use 270 brass. I already had about 170 and just ordered 400 more yesterday for $10/100. I wish I could find 243 and 6.5 CM for that.

You did what I did... During the Obama gun ban crap, I couldn't find Lapua or Nosler .270 Win brass (for my .25-06 AI), so I had to buy a bunch of once-fired Winchester .270 Win brass from some random company online. I think I got 200 of them shipped to my door for less than $25 (and during that time period, that was CHEAP!).

I still use those .270 Win brass. Winchester has always made pretty decent brass. Some of the best brass I've ever used was Winchester nickel-plated 7mm RemMag brass. Strong as hell, and lasts nearly forever. Cleans up nice and slick, too. Great for hunting.

If it's a large ring that opens things up a bit. You can really get the most out of that case. I'd start with 140VLD's and Reloader 26. Simply a stunner in big case-d 6.5's. Hybrid 100V, IMR 7828 would be next down my list. If you want charge weights, PM and I can help with some starting numbers.

I also recommend 7828 SSC for his 6.5-06 AI... It will help keep chamber pressures down, while still getting the most out of his rifle.

So here is what I have. 470 FC 270 Win brass. 270 Win FL sizer, Redding 6.5-06 Neck Sizer, and a neck reamer, case trimmer.

Do what with what, trim or neck ream next, trim what, fire form then trim, neck ream or what.

I'd like to hear step by step operational methods of making a completed 6.5-06 AI case ready to reload as a completed 6.5-06 AI case.

tks,
Bee

First, I'd make sure they're cleaned and ready to load. Then, I'd run them through the FL .270 Win sizing die. Then I'd run them through the 6.5-06 AI neck sizer die to set the false-shoulder and resize the neck. Then I'd trim to length, leaving an extra 0.020" on the trim length. Then load a book starting load for 6.5-06 and go fire-form your cases. Shoot about 5, let the rifle cool, shoot 5, let it cool, etc...

Can't find any load data anywhere that I would trust? Anyone have any loads they would care to share? I understand I would be using the data at my own peril and not hold anyone liable for my retardednesssim!

Thanks in advance
Bee
You can go to www.ammoguide.com to find some loads for the 6.5x06. I don't remember if they were under 6.5x06 or 6.5x06 A square.

I have a Colombian Mauser 1957 with a ER Shaw 26" SS barrel chambered in 6.5-06 (not AI though) that nearly reaches 264wm velocity with R-26. Because of the 1:9 twist I've only shot 130's or lighter through it.

I own 270win and 25-06 rifles so I tend to only use 30-06 brass to keep the confusion down. I have never turned a neck, nor had a case get stuck...yet!

Sweet shooter that's for sure. I have one more Savage action sitting in the safe waiting on a barrel. I'm leaning hard towards the 6.5-06 for it. But I sure miss my old 280 Remington...of course have dies for both...but have not made the final call on which one yet?!?!?

Thanks for al the info guys. Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you and thank you. Wound up having and emergency surgery last Wednesday night to remove a spinal cord stimulator that had gotten infected. I think it was infected when they sewed me up from the very beginning. Either way, now I have a PIC line under my right arm running right up next to one of my heart valves. Will be stuck with this for 4-6 weeks. Also have a hole in my back you could put a nice fish filet in, with a wound-vac sucking all the blood out of it. Definitely got a mess to deal with for now.

thanks again,
Bee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.