Just for fun... .

I would ask what those big hogs are eating, but it looks like they are eating anything they come across. Do you leave the big ones for the coyotes after you shoot them?

In spite of the fact they are quite numerous even the cats are plenty big and healthy this year.

1665713666860.png

That's a big female that's been hanging around for several years.
1665713806729.png

I would ask what those big hogs are eating, but it looks like they are eating anything they come across. Do you leave the big ones for the coyotes after you shoot them?
You would be correct. They are consummate omnivores. Around here they eat a hell of a lot of snakes, rats, and prickly pear, grubs, and haygrazer/sudan and especially milo if they can find it.

Sudan/Haygrazer hay is like catnip to them.

Last edited:
My club in South Arkansas has been battling hogs on our lease land for many years now. In the days before the hogs moved in, we were getting a good population of wild turkeys and we killed a few and had hope of more to come.
But then came the hogs, so the Turkey population has been less every year since then because hogs eat their eggs.
So we kill every one we can and even trap them, to no avail since they reproduce faster than we can trap them.
If It is your land or land you lease, I would advise aggressive hunting and trapping, but it is probably already too late. Say goodbye to ground nesting birds if you have any.

My club in South Arkansas has been battling hogs on our lease land for many years now. In the days before the hogs moved in, we were getting a good population of wild turkeys and we killed a few and had hope of more to come.
But then came the hogs, so the Turkey population has been less every year since then because hogs eat their eggs.
So we kill every one we can and even trap them, to no avail since they reproduce faster than we can trap them.
It is your land or land you lease, I would advise aggressive hunting and trapping, but it is probably already too late. Say goodbye to ground nesting birds if you have any.
I wouldn't blame the hogs for a drop in the turkey population. We have tons of turkey and BW Quail (both ground nesters) in this area.

Fire ants and coccidiosis are your most likely causes of decline in the Turkey population.

That's true about fire ants, we do have some. They prey on ground nesters as well as hogs, skunks, possums and armadillos and raccoons. I also see lots of owls and hawks and last year an eagle tried to kill a doe right in front of me. We have bobcats too.

Attachments

• 1115120910a.jpg
    1115120910a.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20201228_113337.jpg
    20201228_113337.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 70
That's true about fire ants, we do have some. They prey on ground nesters as well as hogs, skunks, possums and armadillos and raccoons. I also see lots of owls and hawks and last year an eagle tried to kill a doe right in front of me. We have bobcats too.
Your group needs to hold some predator and hog tournaments!

Trapping is the most efficient way to reduce hog numbers but it's not nearly as fun as shooting them.