JLK Bullets

Lrt307

How many have hunted with JLK 180's in a 7mag? I have killed 2 elk and 1 antelope with them and just looking for some input. My main reason here is I shoot Bergers really well also but the Bergers frankly have gotten to be the biggest pain in the *** to load as of lately. I have to go thru boxes of the same lot # and seperate sometimes 4 different batches with measurments from base to ogive being completely different. I spoke with Phil @ Berger and he recommended me to seperate the differences then load them and then adjust my die accordingly to load the others. I do not experience this with the JLK's that I have shot. They are much more consistent. I also have 800 175 ELD X's on order. The 212's I have shot in the 300 rum are all precise base to ogive.

I see them sitting on top of lots of cartridges at the Williamsport 1000 match, I don't think their there for funzies ! Must be extremely accurate to be there.

I've killed a ton of critters with 180 JLKS. Never had an issue with one. I have shot strictly JLK's in my guns clear back to when Mr. Knox was cranking them out. I currently shoot them in .22,.243,.264, and .284.

Ive used them for Antelope out to 700yds and if you don't hit something hard they will just pencil hole thru, Antelope are small critters so not a big problem if you punch thru lungs with a little hole they run like the wind for 75yrds and pile up, but on elk or anything big I wouldn't recommend them they are not designed to open up or explode they are target bullets meant to punch thru paper.

How many have hunted with JLK 180's in a 7mag? I have killed 2 elk and 1 antelope with them and just looking for some input. My main reason here is I shoot Bergers really well also but the Bergers frankly have gone to be the biggest pain in the *** to load as of lately. I have to go thru boxes of the same lot # and seperate sometimes 4 different batches with measurments from base to ogive being completely different. I spoke with Phil @ Berger and he recommended me to seperate the differences then load them and then adjust my die accordingly to load the others. I do not experience this with the JLK's that I have shot. They are much more consistent. I also have 800 175 ELD X's on order. The 212's I have shot in the 300 rum are all precise base to ogive.

Most all bullets have some variance in base to ogive. In fact I have never seen any lot of bullets that did not have any. The best way to use these or any bullet is to establish your BTO measurement with the first one and then short seat each one .010" after that and then measure that BTO and then adjust die down to the final established BTO measurement. The last adjustment will be .001-.010" depending on the bullet. Bergers are usually better than most. If the last adjustment is .008" then you have .002" variance compared to the bullet that was used for your established BTO but they are now both the same distance from the lands. This requires a micrometer seater but is easy to do. In the end all of your OAL's will vary but your BTO will be the same and that is what you want for long range - consistent jump.

Most all bullets have some variance in base to ogive. In fact I have never seen any lot of bullets that did not have any. The best way to use these or any bullet is to establish your BTO measurement with the first one and then short seat each one .010" after that and then measure that BTO and then adjust die down to the final established BTO measurement. The last adjustment will be .001-.010" depending on the bullet. Bergers are usually better than most. If the last adjustment is .008" then you have .002" variance compared to the bullet that was used for your established BTO but they are now both the same distance from the lands. This requires a micrometer seater but is easy to do. In the end all of your OAL's will vary but your BTO will be the same and that is what you want for long range - consistent jump.

Learned something right there. I thought it was my equipment or technique that was causing those variences. I never could put my finger on why some days I seemed to get it right and other days I was all over the map. Think I thought that the seater was supposed to seat from the ogive, which apprently was part of my problem.

So far these Eld x's have been waaay consistent. Like .001

I have not used them in 7mm, but have used their VLD's extensively in my 6.5x284. I agree that the uniformity from lot to lot is more consistent the Bergers. The performance on game is excellent as well.

Differences in bullets will cause this but is not the only culprit. Neck tension will cause the same differences with the same bullet seated in different cases.

Differences in bullets will cause this but is not the only culprit. Neck tension will cause the same differences with the same bullet seated in different cases.

This is true. I can tell you first hand its time well spent to go thru all your bullets and measure base to ogive. Seperate them all out and your reloading will be much easier. I was blown away at how easy it is to hit the same oal everytime with Hornadys ELD x bullets. I measured 100 of them in 7mm 175 and off my comparator they all were within .001.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.