Jewell trigger issues!!!

Did you check to see if the rifle has enough sear engagement? I backed off on the sear engagement on my 700 LSS, and found that when I cycled the bolt fast and slammed it forward, the sear would trip. I set my sear by turning the engagement screw clockwise (inward) until the pin fired. I backed out from this point counterclockwise a little more than 1/2 a turn. There still seems to be more takeup than I would like at this setting.

when you reduce sear engagement it will also reduce your pull weight....you may need to put a little more on your pull weight, to make up for this light sear engagement. i put spring b in mine yesterday, says it is good for pull weights from 2 to 16 oz, i could not get a pull weight any more than 11 oz. with the right spring jewell triggers are safe with this light sear engagement, they are designed with light pressure on the sear when the bolt is in the cocked position. make sure you drop the bolt several times rapidly and sharply to make sure you have a safe trigger. mine has no creep, no overtravel and breaks like a piece of glass. may take a little work to get it set. move sear engagement in with little increments at a time. if the bolt does not catch add a litle more pull weight and a little more sear engagement i think you will find a great trigger

I just got one for a model 70 and it won't cock, no matter how I adjust the screws. It's a newer classic compact rifle. I was very surprised as I have these on 2 700's and an AR-15 and they went in and adjusted in no time. Does anybody know what cause this in the 70?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.