Jam or jump - load development

big problem with JAM is it also jumps pressure...quickload says add about 7200 for starting press.
you did not say for hunting or target?
i agree no reason to JAM hunting loads.
i start all my work up AT THE LANDS, TOUCHING no jam.
clean the gun....zero copper in the throat
it takes work, polish a bullet, seat, look and marks and change seater, do it all over again. till the marks go away, then make it longer .001 at a time till you see the lands touch( it helps to have a nice clean square throat)
you are at high pressure point for your max load, anything else will be less pressure.
if you go to jam, you KNOW you have to decrease and work up.

This would be used for hunting so I definitely don't want to jam to stick a bullet. The gun was cleaned before I started. When you say touching, do you have any marks on your bullets? You can get lands marks with little pressure so no real threat of sticking bullets. I guess you can seat them until you have slight mark and call that touching and start there. I would assume carbon build up (plan to hunt with dirty barrel) will increase the touch and maybe slight pressure? I'm way over thinking this

My round that stuck and I lost the muley would eject fine if I loaded it and then unloaded it. The force of the primer strike stuck the bullet. I start my loads 20 thou of the lands. Find the point that the bullet is just touching the lands the seat deeper by 20 thou or a 1/4 turn on your seater die. Start thereand you don't have any trouble.

As far as finding OAL where the bullet touches the rifling, I abandoned all other methods for the Hornady OAL gauge and a Hornady OAL case. It takes the fiddling right out of it.
This^^^^
Make your own modified cases from your chamber with a 5/32-36 tap if you dont feel like buying Hornady's cases.

I like to start at .005 off and work back .005 at a time, .030 at a time is alot. Personally I think you can skip right over a good node .030 at a time. Not arguing with Bergers method just my way.

I will not jam any gun It can have to many issues. If it will not shoot acceptable slightly off lands, I'll get rid of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.