Jack-of-all-trades varmint/coyote round

How nice of them to only catalogue the 9 twist in the rifles that are too heavy for my intended purpose.

I seem to remember they had a custom shop, but never when I was actually looking for a new rifle. I wonder if they can put a faster twist in a 204...

It doesn't look like Savage offers a .20 cal twist faster than 12, but it may be worth a call to them to find out for sure.

Criterion offers an 11 twist pre-fit barrel. If you wanted to go that route, you could look for a used/cheap Savage .223, put a Criterion barrel on it, and still not have a lot of money in it.

Didn't read all the posts but reliably killing coyotes at 100 yds is different than 350-400 of course so kinda depends on what ranges your wanting to shoot. 17 rem or rhe 204 are a lot of fun and will knock them down at 300 yds. But a marginal shot " none of us ever make" they will run off a lot of times Heck they do with 22-250 too.

Hard to beat a 22-250 but will be really hard on fox and small game.
Coyotes are dang tough

I'm still looking into getting a 22-250 or 204 for longer range duty. I did happen on a nice Springing Armory Saint in a trade though. Trigger needs attention, and I'd like a low power scope instead of the red dot. Even in its current "blaster" configuration, I managed this group at 80 yards with surplus brass, 25.5 gr of Varget, and the 53 gr v-max.

KIMG0208.JPG

I didn't think that was half bad.

morning, I have a 22-250AI built on a 722 Rem. action. the
twist I think is 9 or 10. I shoot 77gr Rem bullets into
bugholes. 28" hart SS #6 contour barrel. trued up.
if I build another all around caliber it would b a 260AI.
shoot the light weight bullets. 100gr. or less. I have
a 223AI-243AI and 6mmAI. just thinking GBOT TUM

The .22-250 is a tried and true varmint round that has been around for a long time. I have had several and loved every single one of them. I have an old Remington 700 BDL with a 12 twist that i shot the 36 grain Barnes VG out of that was screaming well over 4000 fps. That combo took a lot of prarie dogs and other small varmints. I also never hesitated launching them at coyotes. It is a cool bullet that takes the ricochet concern into account. That rifle also shot the 55 grain bullets very well.
I currently shoot a 22 BR with a 7 twist barrel that I have a load for Berger 80 VLD's and 55 grain Berger HPFB. Both bullets shoot 1 hole groups on a regular basis. The 22 BR is a little slower than the 22-250, but is a riot to shoot. If you want to try something new I would highly recommend it!!
If you want a 204, then get a 204. It is pretty much that simple. The 22 cals are probably a better "all-around" choice. But I personally wouldn't worry about throwing lead at a coyote with a 204.
When deciding on a new rifle, I think we tend to over complicate things. But we do that because we can, and its a lot of fun. Either route you are thinking of will work great for your application. I say that if the 204 is calling to you, go get one and have fun with it. If you are concerned with it not suiting your needs, stop worrying and shoot

I personally would go with .243 and run the 58gr vmax right around 4000 fps. It won't be fur friendly unless it's at a good distance though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.