It's a shooter!

RMulhern

When I first contemplated purchasing some 90 gr. Sierra HPBT for my 22/250 I was somewhat dubious about whether or not they would be accurate. Rifle has a 1-7" ROT so I knew by the specs that it should handle the accuracy possibly! Well...I had no idea that the combo of this bullet along with H4350 would produce consistently what it's shown me this past month! I've made it a point to make a cold bore shot each afternoon from 800 yards and the results have been consistent with what you see in the photo below! The widest shot from center of this plate has been not over 4" and each shot brings a grin to my face because I can see the POI as the bullet smacks this AR400 plate! My buddy said...."You ain't got no bullseye on that target!" Told him...."I've never shot a buck, elk, or yote with a bullseye on it either...I just hold center mass!" That thought had never occurred to him!

Coldbore800 22/250 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

coydog by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Well...it would actually be in the neighborhood of 8" as that would be the overall diameter of the shots I've made but I will admit that 60% have been right around the center of said plate! In years past I've shot with many guys that can do this or better but the point of this post as far as I'm concerned was to show the accuracy of a cartridge that is NOT NORMALLY counted on to be used at this range. Will it be a barrel burner? Can't say yet but the load I'm using is 35.5 grs. H4350 and I do not let the barrel get overly heated at any time shooting just one shot for this exercise! Zero is set at 200 yards and total MOA needed for 800 is 19.5 MOA.

That's right in the ball park of some .284s I've shot and about 3 MOA better than my 6BR at 800. If you can find a light wind day I suspect you could take home some prizes with that rifle in a LD match. :cool:

I shot NRA Comp aka NMC and Palma for dang nigh onto 50 years and I'll be 75 this coming March. I think my shooting days in Comp are finished! Got two ruptured disc in my back and the prone position is no more! Six years of football takes it's toll!!:cool: But I do still enjoy sitting down at a bench to see what a rifle will do and I'll continue to give the yotes a hard time!!:D

Great rifle and great shooting! Looks like the coyotes will be in trouble this year!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.