Issue with reloading larger hunting rifles, HELP!

ajstew32

I have reloaded for awhile, mostly 223. My 223 was easy and shoots one hole @100 yards, my 22-250 shoot under 1/2 MOA(took awhile but I got it there). Im trying to reload my 300 win Mag and my 338 lapua. The 300 is a fierce titanium edge and the 338 is a wheatherby Mark V. The 300 shoot factory Hornady touching at 150 and the 338 is pretty good with factory considering its under 100 rounds through it. BUT when I go to reload it's terrible. I've tried many load combos in the 300 and I've donevthe headspacing for both. Using lapua and nosler brass so that shouldn't be the issue. I am using Hornady full size die and noticed that the decamping rod and expanding ball are stiff, could this make the concentricity bad?? Took the ball out and the necks OD was almost the bullet diameter... Any opinions and sugestions are well appreciated!

I've tried many load combos in the 300 and I've donevthe headspacing for both. Using lapua and nosler brass so that shouldn't be the issue. I am using Hornady full size die and noticed that the decamping rod and expanding ball are stiff, could this make the concentricity bad?? Took the ball out and the necks OD was almost the bullet diameter... Any opinions and sugestions are well appreciated!

How bad is bad? 1" at 100 yards? 2" at 100 yards?

You have to be systematic when working up loads.
1) Pick a load about 5% below max. Use that load and adjust seating depth for best group.
2) Use that seating depth and create loads in .3 gr increments and to test for best group.

Could be the dies, but wouldn't be too quick to blame them. I use Redding sizing wax and redding graphite for neck lube. The expander needs to pull back out somewhat smoothly. You may just need to lube the necks better. Could always get a Sinclair concentricity gauge to see how much runout the dies are causing while sizing the necks.

I'm talking about the best group to be 2 1/2- 3" at 200 yards. I did the load work up consistently just as you said. I just ordered a concentricity gauge and waiting on it to come in. I may not be lubing the inside of the necks enough. Sometimes are pretty stiff.

Are you trying to reproduce factory loads ? Which specific bullets and powder are you using ? How did you determine what overall length to set your FL die to ? What primers are you using ?

There are many pieces that make up a successful load and you have to get all of them right.

westcliffe01
I'm just trying to get an accuarate load with a decent bullet for hunting I rigged up a nut to measure head spacing(worked pretty good for a farm boy!) and yes I'd was working so that it barely bumping the shoulder back. I've tried berger(with the load that came with the rifle), 165 180 and 200 accubonds, 200 sierra gameking and 175 lrx. Using mostly h1000 and imr 7828. Primers are CCI 250 (large rifle magnum). The load that fierce had on the text target was 71 gr 7828 with 185 vld. It shot one ragged hole at 100 for them. And it's not my shooting I don't think... I shot 3 touching at 150 the same day with my 22-250(my 22-250 is nothing special, factory tc venture predator)

You might take a serious look at Retumbo. I never had much success in the 300 WM with H-1000 or 7828. Both worked well in my 7mm RM but not my 300. Retumbo with 200 grain bullets was a very accurate load in my 300 WM. I used Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers. The load was about 1 grain under max.

The load that fierce had on the text target was 71 gr 7828 with 185 vld. It shot one ragged hole at 100 for them.

If this load is not working for you and the Hornady factory loaded ammo is accurate, the issue maybe the seating of the VLD bullets. Are you using a Hornady seater also? If so, remove the seating stem and test it wit a VLD bullet to make sure the VLD bullet is not bottoming out on the stem. This could cause the bullet to seat crooked.

Also, I would use the exact same seating depth that Fierce was using. Did they provide that info?

flashhole -I did try retumbo behind 210 lr accubond. Worked ok, had some alright groups and then some bad ones.

Barrelnut - they gave me the length to ogive and calculated it, it was touching the lands, my actual coal was very inconsistent maybe I am using the Hornady seater as well, that could be the issue with those but it shouldn't afect the Sierras I wouldn't think

Check rifle first to make sure everything is tight and secure then I would try the load it shot well before. Also check your shooting techniques. No sling studs binding in bags no bags pinching that kind of stuff

Barrelnut - the consistency bullet to bullet could very 10 thou or a little more. I was using federal brass at that time. I just got new nosler a couple weeks ago. The billets are tight, can't move them

Well inconsistent seating depth could be caused by inconsistent neck tension. Could be the seating stem profile also. Inconsistent bullet bearing surface size can do it too.

Are you measuring seating depth at the ogive or tip of bullet? Berger bullet tips lengths can vary quite a bit.

It is possible to get consistent seating depth by backing off the seater a bit so the length is longer, then turing the seater down a bit and measuring, turn down and measure until you hit the depth you want. have to do it with each bullet, and a bit of a pain, but it will get all the depths the same. Bergers seem always to shoot good at the lands. 10 thou difference might be enough to throw them off. Just depends.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.