ISO cow elk hunt

I think it depends on where you are from? I would try to hunt the closest state with decent elk numbers. Also a lot of times you can get a cow tag for the best elk units in a state a lot easier then you can a bull tag. I hunted one of Colorado's better elk units for a cow and had a blast.

The OTC licenses for bull elk in CO cover quite a range including the NW area. To bag one you just have to be willing to hike in and know where their beds are. Most folks just want to ATV or 4x4 until they see one, which is rare. You know they're there because you hear them chirping outside your tent after dark!

Another poster was asking roughly the same question. It would be best if you can scout whichever area you'd like to try. Pretty much essential, IMO.

I used Bearpaw Outfitters a few years back when I wanted something easy enough for my 12 year old son and my disabled dad to come along on. We did a full guided hunt in Utah in late January and we had a great time. As long as you're realistic about it being meat hunt and not a back country trip I don't think you'd be disappointed and I'd absolutely do it again.

They offer different options from full guided to do it yourself maps and the price was fair.

https://bearpawoutfitters.com/utah_cow_elk_hunting.html

are they fenced

Nope, we hunted on public land outside of Duchesne. Stayed at a motel in town then got picked up by the guide in the morning and brought out. It would be an easy do it yourself meat hunt too.

I'll probably go out and do it again in the next year or two. I'm purely a meat hunter and hunts like this are easy and affordable enough that my kids (who don't hunt) will come with me, have a good time, and we can just turn it into a bit of a road trip/vacation with a little hunting mixed in. As an added bonus I get some meat out of the deal, what's not to love?

Nope, we hunted on public land outside of Duchesne. Stayed at a motel in town then got picked up by the guide in the morning and brought out. It would be an easy do it yourself meat hunt too.

I'll probably go out and do it again in the next year or two. I'm purely a meat hunter and hunts like this are easy and affordable enough that my kids (who don't hunt) will come with me, have a good time, and we can just turn it into a bit of a road trip/vacation with a little hunting mixed in. As an added bonus I get some meat out of the deal, what's not to love?
Yo gotta get the rest of the fam eating meat. Cook more bacon in the house and refuse to let them have some.

Yo gotta get the rest of the fam eating meat. Cook more bacon in the house and refuse to let them have some.

I've given up on that. I'll just give it a few years until both kids are over 18, then divorce my wife and start over. LOL If I do it now I'll have to spend all my gun money on child support and attorney fees and my wife will still take half my gun collection. I'd be fine with that if she were going to shoot them but she'd just sell them all for scrap!:D

Send them to me and I'll watch over them until it is done and send them back. You can send the kids with the guns and I'll work on the meat eating. They'll come back thinner or healthier.

Do you take trade ins? I'll give you two emotionally damaged, non-hunting, non-shooting (but still pro gun!) kids in exchange for a couple boxes of bullets. Then I'll use the bullets to go kill a couple more elk!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.