ISO cow elk hunt

Seems like a good price for non guided free range

I looked at the page also... "copyright 2012" down at the bottom... another page had bull elk prices and it stated "2011 prices". I would be surprised if they have not gone up a bit.

Guided or DIY
Antler-less Elk Hunts have been my preferred method for teaching friends and family members the joy of the hunt and pleasure of eating meat that isn't bought in a Grocery Store.
Elk cover allot of country generally it's high and far from roads. However there are several states that have numerous tags and late seasons that permit a DIY hunter to enjoy a great hunt. Spike Bull and any Bull Units are available over the counter. As well as Antler-less Elk tags.
How I do it
First in some States you can buy a hunting license and purchase a preference point for Bulls, Antler-less Elk etc. Building preference points for cows/calves usually insures you an opportunity to draw with as little as one point or a few.
Most Western States now have a website of their Hunting Units for available tags. the number of permits, time of month, and accessibility into the hunt area.
TAGS DRAWN
Everyone in my hunting party has a meeting when drawn and review the hunt area specifics. We identify hunting gear, equipment, clothing, vehicles, cost of fuel, travel expense' lodge in route and return trip, mear processing. etc.
Dept of Wildlife
Speak with the region Biologist, area Wardens, and so forth. If I've hunted the area before I call local friends and plan advance scouting trips.
SHOOTING PRACTICE
PHYSICAL CONDITIONING

Firearms are cleaned and allot of shooting range time is conducted to zero our weapons. Long distance shooting in our back country and desert are performed to develop unknown target shooting skills we will encounter during the hunt. We conduct all this while hiking up and down ridges, steep inclines, and in sandy washes to develop our legs and backs to carrying a 40 pound backpack.
ELK REQUIRE
Quality Binoculars, Spotting Scope. Rifle scope, good physical conditioning and LOTS of patience. You'll also see them far away. The decision is can you close the distance? When you do are you prepared to make that shot under poor environmental conditions, odd angles and tired as all hell. Will you be able to recover the animal. Do you know how to gutless boneout the carcass. Then pack it out.

If so go for it. It will be an experience we few love and enjoy.
Gonzo
USMC, Disabled Vet Vietnam
72 years young and ready to Go

Are they athletic?

Both of them are about as athletic as I'd expect 14 and 16 year old kids to be, and that's entirely based on motivation. With a little gentle encouragement from a cattle prod they'd likely complete back to back Ironman Triathlons. If you ask them though they can't make it from their rooms to the couch without stopping to use an inhaler. LOL

The cow elk hunts in January are pretty low impact and most folks can do well on them. I'll admit though that going from where I live in WA at 500' elevation to 5500'+ in Utah took it's toll on me and my dad, but my son did fine. I've always had respiratory problems and my dad has emphysema so trudging through 24" or more of snow at that elevation was actually a pretty good work out while getting the elk out. Of course we could have just let the guides handle it, but that's taking part of the experience out of it.

I looked at the page also... "copyright 2012" down at the bottom... another page had bull elk prices and it stated "2011 prices". I would be surprised if they have not gone up a bit.

Those prices are what I paid 2 years ago (2 years this month actually) when I hunted with them. I'll reach out to Dale the owner and see if they're still current. He has a hunting forum that I hang around fairly often and he's pretty active on there during the off season and in between hunts.
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php

As I think back on the cow elk hunt I have to laugh since I live in a state with unlimited over the counter elk tags and a local elk heard that hangs out in the nearly 200,000 acre tree farm that makes up my back yard. The only thing we don't have here in WA is an elk season that lines up with my work schedule.

Kids in my house have to be 3 sport athletes and no video games. We could use a good girls b ball player and another member on the wrestling team that ranks nationally.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.