Is this possible?

SouthTXBowhunter

Is it possible (maybe I should be asking if it's adviseable) to build a switchbarrel rifle in 6.5SAUM and 300 Norma? I'm curious if a Bighorn TL3 (LA) with a WTO SwitchLug would enable this combination? What problems does this pose and are they insurmountable?

As far as I can see the two cartridge cases have different rim diameters .
Which would mean that two bolts would be required .
It would be better to use a 6.5 and a .300 based on the same case and then one bolt does both and case length would be the same for feeding . The rest is standard switch barrel stuff ala a Rem 700 .

Well, it turns out it will not be possible....for now. The Bighorn action is too small to handle the diameter of the 300NM case safely. They are currently working on a XL version of their action but do not have a release date yet. Bummer. Might as well close this thread - if one of the mods sees this.

As far as I can see the two cartridge cases have different rim diameters .
Which would mean that two bolts would be required .
It would be better to use a 6.5 and a .300 based on the same case and then one bolt does both and case length would be the same for feeding . The rest is standard switch barrel stuff ala a Rem 700 .

The Bighorn bolt has floating, interchangeable bolt heads. So, all you have to do is swap the bolt head out. What's going to make it impossible, though, is what I posted above.

Check the bolt face diameter and limits, then if the receiver can handle the casing diameter and length....not sure in this case but it is possible with some...you may need to just have two bolts...the barrel won't matter as long as it screws in, oh, check the magazine opening in the action and box itself, good luck....I'd just save up and get another action, trigger and stock and have twice the fun !lightbulb

Two words and an acronym: Desert tech SRS

Switch barrels from anything in a 308win class up to a 338lapua class. Just as accurate and repeatable as a standard rifle, if not more so. Lots of reputable smiths are doing the barrels now.

Greg at primal rights is the man you wanna talk to. He's run everything through the SRS and numerous wildcats of his own design. Call him and thank me later. 605-554-1911

Well, it turns out it will not be possible....for now. The Bighorn action is too small to handle the diameter of the 300NM case safely. They are currently working on a XL version of their action but do not have a release date yet. Bummer. Might as well close this thread - if one of the mods sees this.

The Bighorn bolt has floating, interchangeable bolt heads. So, all you have to do is swap the bolt head out. What's going to make it impossible, though, is what I posted above.

Fair enough I am not fully familiar with the Bighorn action but two different bolt heads is still an extra swap .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.