Is the 7PRC really promoted as a long range caliber?

the shorter and fatter the case the more efficient it is with ignition and burn, right?
Longer and slimmer definitely benefit more from longer pipes.
fps/inch definitely varies between the 2
I've heard this logic repeatedly, has any real data to back this up? Genuinely curious.

If you are taking shots within 400yrds, why not just go with a 7-08, 308, or 30-06?
Oh I don't know, maybe more retained velocity/energy numbers which could possibly translate into more potential terminal performance, less drift and drop which can substantially increase maximum point blank range. Recoil and shooter error aside some of those higher numbers can also translate into a higher hit probability. Velocity and not BC is king at these ranges.
As far as barrel lengths are concerned the rifle manufacturers will sell what is most profitable, in this case I would assume what sells the most. If you want a certain amount of performance, you can always build what you particularly want.

I wouldn't worry too much about the velocity differences from 20" to 26" barrels - it isn't that significant.

It is interesting…shorter barrels were the rage in the 70s, then 26" barrels were the rage in the 90s, now we're back to shorter barrels.

Pick a barrel length that suits your needs and provides the best balance for your rifle.

I've been looking at getting a 7mm. The 7PRC sounds interesting in that it usually is chambered in rifles that have an 8 twist, with the idea of shooting longer, high BC bullets, including the newer high BC mono's. What I don't get is that I'm seeing a lot of 7PRC rifles offered in 20,22, and 24 inch barrels. That doesn't make sense to me. If you want a long range rifle, why would you give up muzzle velocity? If you are taking shots within 400yrds, why not just go with a 7-08, 308, or 30-06?
Well for years, I only had one rifle in 300 win mag. Now that I am older and can afford them, have multiple calibers. So when my wife said the day before my birthday, "why don't you buy a new rifle for your birthday." I said to myself,"well, alrighty then", looked on the internet for what was on sale and poof a new 7mm PRC in a Ruger American Go Wild Camo wound up in my chubby hands on sale from Sheels on my birthday. The 7mm PRC seems like a magnum cartridge built for precision and had been researching it, but it was not my first choice in 7mm. Now in 7mm I really wanted the 7mm Weatherby Mag, but the twist rate of their factory rifle wasn't what I wanted. But a new rifle in a caliber I don't have, bought a new Jard trigger for it raised the cheek a tad and yep, I am happy with it. I will stretch it out now that I have dies and some once fired cartridges, just need the range time. Have fun in your search and have a Happy New Year.

the shorter and fatter the case the more efficient it is with ignition and burn, right?
Longer and slimmer definitely benefit more from longer pipes.
fps/inch definitely varies between the 2
I tend to agree but why did the shorter/fatter, 35deg shoulder 7WSM die off and get replaced with the slightly longer/skinnier 7PRC?

An awful lot depends on marketing and what's trendy. I just drove past my local Starbucks. Cars were lined up out into the street for a $6 cup of coffee. Personally, I like the McDonalds coffee better but that isn't very trendy. LOL

I've been looking at getting a 7mm. The 7PRC sounds interesting in that it usually is chambered in rifles that have an 8 twist, with the idea of shooting longer, high BC bullets, including the newer high BC mono's. What I don't get is that I'm seeing a lot of 7PRC rifles offered in 20,22, and 24 inch barrels. That doesn't make sense to me. If you want a long range rifle, why would you give up muzzle velocity? If you are taking shots within 400yrds, why not just go with a 7-08, 308, or 30-06?
The 7PRC is about 150 fps faster than the 7 mag. So if you're hunting deer it will take you to 1000 yds with ease if the rifle is accurate enough to make the shot. I would also go with a 26 or 28" barrel/ 8 twist to handle heavier bullets for long-range hunting.

I tend to agree but why did the shorter/fatter, 35deg shoulder 7WSM die off and get replaced with the slightly longer/skinnier 7PRC?
This was my thought. Probably a combination of new high BC bullets, PRC rifles with faster twist rates, and marketing.

On a side note, I'll give kudos to Browning in that they have stepped up to 1:8 twist in almost all their 7mm's, including 7RM, 280's, and 28N.

Last edited:
It depends what you consider long range I guess. A lot of cartridges will match or beat the inflated numbers of the 7 PRC. It's a middle of the road 7mm cartridge. Nothing special to make it "long range". That statement in itself means nothing really. Any cartridge than can push a decent, heavy for caliber bullet to 2900fps is a "long range" cartridge IMO.

Recent Posts