Is the .243 win on the way out?

Sure it is.....I own a Tikka 243 that shoots 3/4 inch groups with factory ammo. Only people that dont think the 243 cal is NOT obsolete is because they have one that they are emotionally attached too and have a ton of ammo for it and it dont make since to make a change which includes me. I also own a 6.5 Creedmoor which out performs the 243 cal in every category even the cost of ammo for any man , woman or child.
Ammo will be made for it for a long time because 10's of thousands of guns are out their already for the 243 cal guns. I think the 243 will be me made in small numbers in the future and with lower barrel life I think in 20 years the 243 cal will finally be dead. Just my opinion. MD
A 6.5 creed also generates more recoil, so not every woman or child will want to shoot it. Been that way for yrs. If the 243 dies off, it will have been the choice of mfg's choice to not offer faster twist barrels. Like the 22-250 compared to 223, most companies offer fast twist for 223, 12 tw for 22-250. You rebarrel a 22-250 with a 7 tw barrel, you now own a pretty capable rifle.

I had an old shot out .243 so I had it re barreled in a 1-8" twist 243 and went to 25" tube. It flat out shoots the ELDM 108s and at a tad over 3000 fps it gets me out to 1000. Its not a gun I hunt with just a toy for steel at long range but I absolutely love the thing.

A 6.5 creed also generates more recoil, so not every woman or child will want to shoot it. Been that way for yrs. If the 243 dies off, it will have been the choice of mfg's choice to not offer faster twist barrels. Like the 22-250 compared to 223, most companies offer fast twist for 223, 12 tw for 22-250. You rebarrel a 22-250 with a 7 tw barrel, you now own a pretty capable rifle.
^^^^^^^^ I agree 100%
A 6.5 C********* out performs the 243, yes it does, Marginally, but not enough for me, Y'all act like its some kind of mythical creature that turns you into Carlos Hathcock, I'll keep my 243

Y'all act like its some kind of mythical creature that turns you into Carlos Hathcock, I'll keep my 243
Seems to be a lot of hate for the Creed case on here, noticed the same on accurate shooter. I myself could do w/o the hype, but IMO, it is still the perfect entry level case for new shooters. It gets them in the game. Where they go with it, or what levels of idiocy promoting their new found luck is on those individuals.
Around here, if you ask someone what they are shooting, don't even get "creedmoor" anymore, just 6.5 and it is on you know that is what is meant. I guess the amusement associated with the 6.5 creed is enough for me to want it to stick around.

Here's my take on the 243: The old timers are always going to have one because that's what they grew up with. However, the younger generations are going to push for the 6mm Creedmoor and other newer alternatives. End of the day if you're established with a 243 already stay with it. However, if you're starting out new you would be a fool not to go to one of the newer 6mms on the market such as the Creedmoor. I have 3 6mms currently: A 243, 6mm Creedmoor, and a 6x47 Lapua. The 243 is due for a rebarrel next year. That will be rebarreled to a 6mm Creedmoor because I already have the dies. End of the day the 6mm Creedmoor is an upgrade over the old 243. The brass and aftermarket support is there for it too now.

Seems to be a lot of hate for the Creed case on here, noticed the same on accurate shooter. I myself could do w/o the hype, but IMO, it is still the perfect entry level case for new shooters. It gets them in the game. Where they go with it, or what levels of idiocy promoting their new found luck is on those individuals.
Around here, if you ask someone what they are shooting, don't even get "creedmoor" anymore, just 6.5 and it is on you know that is what is meant. I guess the amusement associated with the 6.5 creed is enough for me to want it to stick around.
No Hate and Its a heck of a round without a doubt, I'm like you as I could do without the hype and lord It gets old that every other post turns into just go C******** or My C******** does this What kind of scope for my C******** and for that reason I will personally never own one but that's just me, As I said its a heck of a round and If its your cup of tea so be it but good gracious the 243 on the way out and the C******** taking over ?? You my as well said John Wayne never made a good western movie

I think the story would change dramatically, if manufacturers offer 243win with 1: 7 barrels.
With just this change, there is nothing else to change. The ammunition factories, as the suppliers of bullets and brass, and not to mention the powder, EVERYTHING, remains intact for the cartridge. In times of skinny cows, each change costs a lot of money. It would be a natural change.

No Hate and Its a heck of a round without a doubt, I'm like you as I could do without the hype and lord It gets old that every other post turns into just go C******** or My C******** does this What kind of scope for my C******** and for that reason I will personally never own one but that's just me, As I said its a heck of a round and If its your cup of tea so be it but good gracious the 243 on the way out and the C******** taking over ?? You my as well said John Wayne never made a good western movie
Around here, I doubt any creed shooters even own a scale, pour RL 26 in a bowl and dip a full case, seat a bullet and brag about the speeds. The cone of fire mentality is even more amazing, it becomes how fast you can cycle the bolt and box a target for a hit. I better quit now, but if I am on the firing line, I am right there telling them to get another downrange while conditions the same, burn that barrel up schmuck, so I wont see you for 2 months or more.

Around here, I doubt any creed shooters even own a scale, pour RL 26 in a bowl and dip a full case, seat a bullet and brag about the speeds. The cone of fire mentality is even more amazing, it becomes how fast you can cycle the bolt and box a target for a hit. I better quit now, but if I am on the firing line, I am right there telling them to get another downrange while conditions the same, burn that barrel up schmuck, so I wont see you for 2 months or more.
Ooooohhhhhhh The fabled RL26 ;)

Yes Sir I have no doubt about that and the 260 Ackley has always caught my interest, One heck of a round
agree, fantastic round. Allways 08 case based, is a plus for me. This means easy brass. But we are jumping in to the 6.5 league.....

Hi all, every 2 months it seems someone posts a "is the .270 dying" post (and is met with an emphatic "NO!") but I don't actually see much talk about the plain vanilla .243 Winchester, either of it's popularity or lack thereof.

the 6mms are in general a bit more of a "love it or hate it" cartridge family, neither fish nor fowl, over and underestimated, some regarding them as little more than the .22 centerfires and some regarding them able to do anything the bigger diameters can do, both probably wrong (according to me anyway :) ) - for a long time where I live the .243 was the minimum legal caliber for big game hunting and I personally feel changing that was a mistake, gotta draw a line somewhere and that made sense - there's also lots of shots I've taken with my .270 that I would have opted to pass on with my .243.

but with the advent of rounds like the 6 creedmoor and the advent of truly high bc 224" projectiles and cartridges to launch them fast along with the ever rising popularity of the 6.5s which some could argue don't recoil notably more, I wonder if many will be questioning the point of the old .243 win with its now anathema stubby neck and gentle shoulders and less than extreme twist rates.

any big .243 fans or shooters on here?

what do you think the future holds for this old workhorse?
When the bbl goes away on my old 6mm Rem M700 Varmint I will likely redo in 6mmR Imp. Love my 6 and like long necks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.