Is my rifle accurate enough?

demo9pro

Hey guys, if my rifle is shooting 1"moa at 100 yards, will it be accurate enough at 600 yards to head shoot a goat?

Does it mean it will be shooting 6"moa at 600 yards?

Thanks guys.

What he said!
Heck, if you want to shoot to 600 then go on out to there and see what happens. You might be surprised to see how good your rifle shoots and how poorly you do....trust me from experience. I wouldn't be happy with 1" groups at 100 yards for a scoped long range weapon, but for an open sighted rifle I would be all smiles if I could get that at 75yards. Now, 1moa at 1000yards would be a different story. Good luck.

thumbs down on shooting a goat's head at 600 yds.:rolleyes:

Way too much opportunity for severely handicapped goat.

I'm thinkin' of real goat here, not the neighbor's billy.

You could have the most accurate, consistent rifle in the world and be able to shoot it up to it's capability and the head shot @ 600 is still a bad idea.

Or am I missing something?

What would people be happy with then? .75moa at 100yards? or less?

Ive got a Sako in .243 thats consistantly shooting .50moa at 100 yards.

If you want to "head shoot" any big game animal at 600 yards, then get a 6 inch balloon and tie it on a 3 foot string. Place it on a pole 600 yards away go out in shifting 5 mph wind and hit the balloon!

Simple as that :)

edge.

1 Moa

Just my opinion, But a 1 MOA gun at a 100 yards is going to have trouble if not impossible to keep 1 moa a 600. I know it can be done, but from my experence you need something close to a .5 MOA gun to hold 1 moa at 600 yrds. It looks like it should on paper, but if the gun is not shooting well or the shooter it or you would be lucky to hold 1.5moa with all the variables.

Maybe I am a **** poor shoot but my .75 MOA PSS 308 has trouble holding 1.15-1.25 moa at 600 due to variables. Will it hold 1 moa some times yes! but on avarage it will not. Shoot with it at that distance and be HONEST WITH YOURSELF!

And who cares if it will hold 1 moa..the first shot is the important one! If I do not hit on the first shot I could care less what the rest do. Any one can walk it on to the target!

Just a quick story--A guy shows up at our little 600 yrd fun shoot with a Christansen Arms 300 WSM with a Leupold VX7 boon an crocket recticel. He shot 10 shots and could hardly keep them on a 6 X 6 carbord target backer..Thats in feet by the way! Out of Pure luck he hit an X ring (1 MOA target). Before that shot he had not been close..Packed his gun up and said its ready to 600 yrds for my goat hunt in Russia, and walked out! I can not make a story like that up!

Quite frankly, the mathematical part of bullet dispersion is all theory. There are far too many variables involved to allow for a 1" group @ 100 yds to equate to a 6" group @ 600 yds.

Bullet drop rarely matches the drop charts for many different reasons. The effect of wind on bullet flight is even more difficult calculate.

The easiest way to answer your own question is to just post a target at 600 yds and see what the rifle can do. If you can't EASILY put almost every bullet in a target as small as a goat head, then you'd be unlikely to do it under field conditions.

Good luck

You can't expect a 1"@100 to do any better than 6"@600

If it does, it's only because of certain favourable circumstances that h've occurred while the shooting of that particular took place.

Peter

Today, I got offered a 0 Moa picatinny rail for my Tikka. Im just wondering why would people fit 0 Moa rails to their guns? Is it just so they can use certain bases?

because tikkas don't normally have a rail on them as the use the opty lock system

What would people be happy with then? .75moa at 100yards? or less?

Ive got a Sako in .243 thats consistantly shooting .50moa at 100 yards.

300 yard group;

11-5-2005-300-Win-Mag-groups300-yar.jpg

long distance accuracy

As you shoot at longer distance, variables enter the equation that most of us never have contended with. For example, the Coriolis effect which for North America is a deviation to the right caused by the earth rotation. To make matters worse, rifling rotates to the right so the bullet starts moving to the right. So 2 separate effects cause a right movement deviation. At 100 yards, these effects are relatively insignificant. At 1000 yards they are significnt and at 2000 yards they are almost ridiculous. Other factors include atmospheric pressure, temperature, wind and others. Moral here -- at extreme distances everything becomes an issue.

Unless you're shooting a Howitzer you can ignore the coriolis effect, and some bullets have negligible spin drift while others do not..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.