How accurate is your hunting rifle?

jpeaston

Just curious. What is an average group at say 500 and farther. Best groups? Worst groups? Cold bore vs warm? Fowled vs unfowled?

I am shooting a rem 700 based 7 mag with a Krieger barrel, 1-9 twist, 180 berger vlds. 10 pounds without scope and rings.

I am under half MOA at 500 yards with a 3 shot group about 8-9 times out of 10. I run about 3-5 inches or so at 700-850, and have only gotten to shoot 4 times at a 1000 yds, my best 5.75 inches in good conditions, 6.5 in, 9 in, and my worst 11 inches in some bad mirage. Not much wind where I live, but a lot of heat mirage.

My cold bore and warm are in the same spot, and I need one fowler after a good cleaning.

Just curious. What is an average group at say 500 and farther. Best groups? Worst groups? Cold bore vs warm? Fowled vs unfowled?

I am shooting a rem 700 based 7 mag with a Krieger barrel, 1-9 twist, 180 berger vlds. 10 pounds without scope and rings.

I am under half MOA at 500 yards with a 3 shot group about 8-9 times out of 10. I run about 3-5 inches or so at 700-850, and have only gotten to shoot 4 times at a 1000 yds, my best 5.75 inches in good conditions, 6.5 in, 9 in, and my worst 11 inches in some bad mirage. Not much wind where I live, but a lot of heat mirage.

My cold bore and warm are in the same spot, and I need one fowler after a good cleaning.
Sounds like an exceptional rig. What bullet are you shooting.

I have never had a custom rifle built but I am fixing to get my first one back from Dan Pedersen. Its a 300 WSM with a H-S precision stock. I am looking forward to see how his cut rifled barrels shoot.

My most accurate hunting rifle so far is my 25-06 that I had mentioned in my other thread. I have shot consistent 3/4 to 1 inch groups at 300 yards with it and it shoots 1 to 2 inch groups at 400 yards. I have never shot it at 500 yards but I will be this weekend. I have never had a factory rifle shoot as well as this one.

I am slowly working my way up the yardage scale gaining the knowledge from this forum and from practicing as I go. I dont want to shoot at any game until I know for sure that I can put it where I want it at a given range with the given conditions.

I hope to be able to take the 300 WSM out to 800 to 900 yards but we will see.

I can not give a good comparison because I almost never shoot 3 shot groups. They are either 5 or 10 shot groups. Three shot groups are usually easier to get small groups with. I did shoot a 3 shot group once at 400 yds which measured 1+3/4" and a 3 shot group at 1,000 yds. which measured 4+1/4". Oh I have shot 5 shot groups at 200 yds. that measured 3/8" and a little smaller. This is with my little 6mm Norms BR. "POPGUN" that I use for hunting antelope and whitetails.

joseph

Last edited:
My LR rifle, a 300winmag, consistently shoots .5 moa with 210 vld and 208 amax out to 800 yards. My 1000 yd groups open up a little, but that is just operator error since I don't get to shoot 1000 as often as I like.

My local range is 400, so most work done there. Many 1-2 '' @ 400, 6'' @ 1000, 338 Norma, off bipod.

my best group to date fired 11/18/2010, a 6.5 gibbs running a 140 berger 3160 fps, 3 shots at a lazered 752 yards
2shots.jpg

RR

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.