Is my rifle accurate enough?

The longer low drag bullets have significant spin drift, while the shorter bullets of 180 grains and less in the 300 win will show little to none IME

We'll call it "Minute of Goat Head" (MOGH for short).

Is your rifle minute of goat head? That seems to be the question.

Yeah I know, it's stupid.:D And childish!
gun)(what we need is a goat smiley!)

Just for my own curiosity, why do you want to shoot a long range animal in the head?

I understand the neck/body junction, but a brain shot?
On a bedded animal it is the only thing moving, and on a standing animal there is just too much TOF for the head to move and leave a crippled animal in the field.

edge.

Hey guys, if my rifle is shooting 1"moa at 100 yards, will it be accurate enough at 600 yards to head shoot a goat?

Does it mean it will be shooting 6"moa at 600 yards?

Thanks guys.

no its not shooting tight enough at 100 yrds to be taking a 600 yrd shot it could be several things and it usually a fairly easy fix if you have any questions feel free to contact me

Last edited:
Re: 1 Moa

+1 just because a gun shoots 1 moa at 100 doesn't mean it will tighten up beyond that. Some do but you can't rely on that and most will stay the same and likely get worse as wind precise ranging hunting conditions add to murphys law. You have to get out and shoot it at all ranges see what it and you can actually do. A head shot on a goat at 600 with a 1 moa fun to me is a recipe for disaster and a blown off jaw or worse. Stick with body shots at any range that isn't a chip shot for you, my opinion but doesn't seem fair if you are not certain you will make a clean brain shot which would be tough even with a gun that shoots better than 1 moa.

(QUOTE=Willys46;207620]Just my opinion, But a 1 MOA gun at a 100 yards is going to have trouble if not impossible to keep 1 moa a 600. I know it can be done, but from my experence you need something close to a .5 MOA gun to hold 1 moa at 600 yrds. It looks like it should on paper, but if the gun is not shooting well or the shooter it or you would be lucky to hold 1.5moa with all the variables.

Maybe I am a **** poor shoot but my .75 MOA PSS 308 has trouble holding 1.15-1.25 moa at 600 due to variables. Will it hold 1 moa some times yes! but on avarage it will not. Shoot with it at that distance and be HONEST WITH YOURSELF!

And who cares if it will hold 1 moa..the first shot is the important one! If I do not hit on the first shot I could care less what the rest do. Any one can walk it on to the target!

Just a quick story--A guy shows up at our little 600 yrd fun shoot with a Christansen Arms 300 WSM with a Leupold VX7 boon an crocket recticel. He shot 10 shots and could hardly keep them on a 6 X 6 carbord target backer..Thats in feet by the way! Out of Pure luck he hit an X ring (1 MOA target). Before that shot he had not been close..Packed his gun up and said its ready to 600 yrds for my goat hunt in Russia, and walked out! I can not make a story like that up![/QUOTE]

Hey guys, if my rifle is shooting 1"moa at 100 yards, will it be accurate enough at 600 yards to head shoot a goat?

bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

Anyone wanting to confirm 1MOA head shots at 600 yards, or any range at that matter, go practice on a overrun gopher field. Seven to eight shots killing a gopher out of ten at your intended range, I would say go for it.

BTW, this post warped four years into the future....Would be interesting to see if the original member who made the post is still around. I would bet all those goats at 600 yards still are:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.